Chapter 15: Fireplace Man

Where Wanda arrived next, she noticed right away that it appeared to be a ship in need of repair. Wires hung around everywhere. There were exposed panels and sidings to the ship's ceiling and floor. Everything looked abandoned and gone to ruin. She sniffed the air lightly, noting that she was in the 51st century. Hmm. And another strange odor in the air. But what was it? She could not place it. It smelled like . . . burning meat of some kind.

Gazing around some, she started to walk down the hall. She beamed when she heard the TARDIS engine off in a distance corridor. Walking down to where the engine was sounding off, she peeked her head around the corner to see Ten, Rose, and Mickey standing and gazing around curiously to the ship they have arrived in. Wanda smiled brightly, realizing they all must be in the S.S. Madame De Pompadour.

"Anyone on board?" asked Rose as the trio gazed around.

"Nah, nothing here," the Doctor said causally. His expression changed slightly when he seemed to give it a second thought. "Well, nothing dangerous. Well, not that dangerous." He paused to think his statement over again. "You know what? I'll just have a quick scan. In case there's anything dangerous."

"Of course there's danger. That's what you live and breathe," Wanda spoke up loudly, making them turn around in surprise. "Not that it's really a bad thing. Life would be so boring without a little danger here and there." She strolled up happily to Rose and Mickey giving them a hug. "Rose and Mickey! My two favorite people!"

"Oh, what, so I'm not your favorite anymore?" the Doctor asked teasingly, sending Wanda a fake hurtful look and pout.

"Ha! You wish you were my favorite!" Wanda teased him, giving him a wink. "Though, I do love Sexy. So, I guess I'll tolerate you." She laughed and walked up to give him a hug as well. He laughed with her.

"It's been a while," he told her. "Last time I saw this you . . ." He trailed off, looking sad and giving her a tighter hug. Rose and Mickey grew the same expression, looking hurt as well. Wanda blinked in surprise and glanced around at them.

"What? What's wrong? Did something happen?" she asked them. The Doctor shook his head quickly, smiling at her.

"Nah, nothing. Don't mind us. Just being nostalgic," he patted her back, moving away from her. Rose came up next to Wanda, linking their arms together.

"Great seeing you again," Rose said brightly. Wanda grinned happily at her.

"Great seeing you, too," Wanda replied. Rose beamed, then began to look around again.

"So, what's the date? How far we gone?" asked Rose, staring to the ship around them curiously. Mickey walked beside her, gazing around in the same manner.

"51st century," stated Wanda. The Doctor fiddled around with a console, activating the lights and ceiling panel. It parted overhead for them to see a large glass ceiling. Above them lay a beautiful purple cluster of stars and drifting meteoroids. Wanda stared up in awe, finding the sight breathtaking.

"Dagmar Cluster—you're a long way from home, Mickey," the Doctor commented. He glanced down to the computers in front of him, reading the charts and scans. "Two and a half galaxies."

Mickey walked over to a porthole window, staring out in amazement. Rose walked over to him, smiling and talking away with him. Wanda continued to stare up to the glass ceiling, smiling fondly.

"Been traveling through the stars for two years now, and I never grow tired of it," she said quietly as she turned slowly around to stare at the cluster from all angles. "It's always so beautiful. It just takes my breath away every time."