Chapter 26: Nuclear Plans

They all stood in silence for a few moments as the sobs of Wanda came muffled from the cupboard. The Doctor's eyes remained wide in shock as he felt disbelief at what happened. Then, slowly, heavy guilt started to creep and set in within him. Did . . . did he make her cry? He . . . he did not mean to. He never wanted to make her cry. At least, not his Wanda.

"I've had about enough of you," Rose spat at the Doctor. The blonde girl stormed over to the Doctor in rage, jabbing her finger harshly into his chest. "This is the third time you've made her cry now. You always treat her like dirt. What has she ever done to you? Huh? Nothing."

"I . . . I didn't think . . . ," he trailed off, feeling his anger finally recede after seeing Wanda cry. His Wanda cry. He had never seen her cry before. Seeing her become upset like that, her tears running down her face . . . it made his hearts twist at the sight. He grabbed at his chest, wondering why they felt like that.

"That's your problem. You never think," Rose bit back. "You just say whatever and don't think of other's feelings. You just let your temper do the talking. Now look at what you've done." She pointed to the cupboard to where the sobbing continued to come from.

"Do you have any idea how much she misses her family? Her friends? Do you have any idea how much this universe scares her?" Rose said harshly at him. "And what does she do? She fights through it and pushes on. She keeps helping others and doesn't even take the time to think for herself. She even risked her life today saving a man from the Slitheen. That's why she was hurt. Because she saved someone. Someone she didn't even know and she jumped right in front of him and saved him."

"She saved someone?" the Doctor asked in puzzlement.

"Yes," Harriet said, adding in her own words. "She acted without even hesitating. She jumped right into the danger, willing to risk it all. She acted valiantly, saving a man, a mere stranger. Someone who isn't her own race." She frowned in disproval to the Doctor. "And I do not appreciate the way you spoke to her. I don't know you or her, but I can tell what you've said was nothing kind."

"I'd say," they heard Jackie say over the speaker. The Doctor looked at it in surprise, having forgotten that Mickey and Jackie were still on the line.

He really did not mean to be so cruel to Wanda. He only felt resentment for her being a Time Lord. Not towards her directly, but to the whole situation at hand. For one, humans always seemed to take things for granted. Always wanting to have more power, and be the strongest and the most special out of the bunch. His anger had assumed the same could be said for Wanda in some ways, even if she did not act like such.

Two, he felt angry that whatever power of the universe could give someone the ability to become a Time Lord, just like that, then it should have helped him. Helped him save his own people. Save the natural-born Time Lords that really needed to be saved. To save his lost family and friends. To be kept alive. And yet, it did not. The universe instead just gave away his race's power to another small and insignificant human being.

But yet . . . to him. . . she was not insignificant. In fact, she never had been anywhere close to insignificant. She was different from other humans. She did not see things just inside the box like they did. She saw beyond that. She saw the universe and life for what it truly was. Even the chestnut incarnation seemed to see things differently than other humans. He had watched the way she gazed onto the dying Earth on Platform One. Instead of having sadness and finding the sight horrendous to watch, such as what Rose had gone through, he had seen a calm and peaceful look coming from the younger Wanda. She saw beauty in it like that way he did. Not something dying, but something changing and moving on. Something being born.

Wanda did not want to have power. She was happy with just living in his TARDIS and travelling. No wants to change time. No wants to be rich. No wanting anything more than just his friendship and to be able to travel with him. And she had always been there for him when he needed it during those rough eight months. She had helped him move on so much. Yet . . . why could he not just want to help her as well? She had lost a home, too. She had lost all her friends and family. Why did he never even think of that?