Chapter 16: The King's Love

They walked down the corridors, continuing their search for Rose and Mickey. The Doctor gazed around the ship curiously while Wanda petted Arthur as she strolled about. They finally found their two companions standing in front of a one-way mirror. They could see into an elegant room of 18th century France. Gazing curiously at Louis XV, who appeared to be talking sternly with a few men.

"Blimey, look at this guy. Who does he think he is?" Mickey scoffed at the sight.

"King of France," the Doctor said, making both companions turn and smile at the Time Lords.

"Oh, here's trouble," Rose joked, grinning at the two Time Lords. "What you two been up to?"

"Oh, this—." the Doctor stated.

"And that," Wanda finished. Arthur snorted beside her. She smiled and gave him a pat. "Say hi to Arthur. He's our new companion."

"What's a horse doing on a spaceship?" Mickey asked in bewilderment, blinking in bewilderment at the sudden appearance of Arthur.

"Mickey, what's pre-revolutionary France doing on a spaceship? Get a little perspective," the Doctor retorted, earning him a light smack in the head from Wanda.

"Rude," she said. She walked up closer to the mirror, watching Louis XV sort of primp himself up while staring into the mirror.

"I was not being rude . . . this time," the Doctor muttered, rubbing at the back of his head. "Anyway. See these?" He nodded to the mirror. "They're all over the place. On every deck. Gateways to history."

"The history of a very special and magnificent woman, too," Wanda added, watching Reinette walk into the room. The two people within the room smiled coyly at each other after Reinette curtsied, moving to stand close to one another. They could see Reinette flirting some with Louis XV, who looked rather taken by the woman.

"Who is she?" asked Rose, raising a brow to the scene behind the mirror.

"Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson, known to her friends as 'Reinette,'" explained the Doctor. "One of the most accomplished woman who ever lived."

"So has she got plans of being the Queen, then?" Rose asked him.

"No, he's already got a Queen," the Doctor told her, nodding to the couple in the room, who both continued to flirt graciously. "She's got plans of being his mistress."

"Oh, I get it. Camilla." Rose nodded, laughing some.

"I think this is the night they met, the night of the Yew-Tree Ball." The Doctor observed the King leaving. Reinette was left alone in the room, looking rather happy. The Doctor nodded, thinking his assumptions were right. "In no time flat, she'll get herself established as his official mistress, with her own rooms at the palace, even her own title—Madame de Pompadour."

Reinette came up to the mirror, doing the same as Louis XV had in making sure she looked presentable for the King. Excitement played out on her face as she knew she would win the King's heart that night, just as he won hers.

"Queen must have loved her," Rose commented lightly.

"Oh, she did," remarked the Doctor. "They got on very well."

"The King's wife and the King's girlfriend?" Mickey questioned, astonished by the very idea. The Doctor shrugged slightly.

"France. Different planet," he replied. The trio all watched, unnoticing to the broken clock in the corner. Wanda glanced back to them, clearing her throat lightly and getting their attention.

"I suggest we go in there and help Reinette. There's a clockwork android in there, at the current moment," Wanda told them. "Might want to make sure it doesn't hurt her."