Chapter 58: Wedding Bells Approaching

Wanda appeared in the middle of the desert by the roadside. Hot air hit her instantly, making her feel awfully warm within her military jacket. She blinked against the sun, trying to make out where she was. Hmm, by her smell it was . . . Oh. Oh. It was that day. It was . . . April 22, 2011. The day of the wedding. She looked down the road, seeing the classic, red, station wagon driving towards her. Stepping to the side, she allowed it to pull over and park along the dirt bank of the road. Eleven stepped out of the driver side, beaming away at her.

"Wanda!" he cried out cheerfully. He opened his arms wide, ready for a hug. Wanda smiled when seeing him and noticing the Stetson on his head. She was glad he was wearing the hat. Something she would always love seeing him wear. That, or a fez. But she had only run into a few times with that on. He stepped towards her to give a large, warm hug once he realized that she was not going to make the first move in receiving the friendly gesture. A hug one would give to an old friend. Wanda gave him one back in return, feeling her hearts beating sadly in knowing she was lost to him already.

"Hey, sweetie," she said lightly, knowing this would always be a name she would call him. No matter what. Friend or lover, he was her sweetie. Just like River was.

"So glad to have you here with me," the Doctor told her, pulling away from the hug. "I was afraid I would not have everyone here with me."

"Oh, I always appear when you need me the most. You know that," Wanda replied. She nodded to the red car. "We should go head and relax on the hood. It's going to be a while before Amy, Rory, and River get here."

"Right!" the Doctor said brightly, clapping his hands together. They crawled on the hood of the wagon, laying down on it to enjoy the bright, blue sky overhead. He pulled her up to him, letting her lay her head on his chest. She curled her hands up carefully around his shirt, listening to the nothingness in his chest.

Hey, I'm inside. the Doctor 's voice rang out within her mind. The crew of the Teselecta are helping me.

Yes. I know. Wanda replied.

Then, you know I know now about the prophecy and the Question. the Doctor said gently.

Yes. Wanda responded. She shifted, reaching into one of her deep, dimensional pockets of her sage coat, pulling out a worn, yellowed piece of paper that was wrapped in plastic. And now that you know . . . I can show you this. She handed him the piece of paper, watching as he snatched it up and read over it very carefully. The eyes of the Teselcta seemed to widen as the Doctor and all within took in the words from the paper.

On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a Question will be asked, a question that must never, ever be answered.

For when the Question is answered, the universe's weapon will activate. And it will be the fall of all creation.

Why have you not shown me this before? Why have you not shown me sooner? the Doctor asked her, sounding hurt that she would not confine in him about such a thing.

Because it was spoilers. If I showed you too soon . . . bad things would have happened. It would have caused damage to your timeline. she replied, patting his arm gently. I had to wait until you found out the truth yourself.

But how long have you known? The Doctor seemed to rethink this question, knowing how silly he was for asking it in the first place. You've always known. Of course you have. What I should be asking is how long have you had this piece of paper? It's awfully old.

It was old when I found it. Wanda took the piece of paper from him, placing it back into her pocket. I discovered it at that orphanage when I ran into little River. Right before the Silence took me. It must have been theirs.