Chapter 54: The Truth of River Song

As soon as Lorna was done explaining what she heard Madam Kovarian plan, the lights within the main room went out. Everyone stared around, trying to see if anyone was coming after them in the darkness. Only a few lights remained on, allowing them to at least see each other.

"Okay, everyone, we need to protect Melody. She's the one they're after," Wanda started to tell them, speaking rapidly. She pointed at the young mother beside her. "Amy, get Melody. Keep her close." Amy hurriedly grabbed her daughter from the cot, holding the baby tightly to her chest, ready to protect her child with her life.

"There are no life forms registering on this base except us, and the Silurians," Strax stated, looking at his scanner within his hand.

"The Headless Monks aren't alive," Lorna explained. "They don't register as life forms."

"Exactly," Wanda said, nodding at Lorna. "They're the perfect way to trap us and kill us off." Wanda went over to Amy and began to steer the mother to the TARDIS. It was the perfect place to keep the mother and her child safe for now. But even before they could move to the ship, a force field appeared around the old girl. Wanda heard Sexy give a disgruntled hum in frustration for being held as a prisoner and powerless to help them.

"What's that?" Amy asked, staring at the swirling light around the TARDIS in confusion.

"Force field. We can't get in," Wanda told her. The Time Lady stared around, trying to think on where to put Amy and little Melody for safe keeping. The only place Wanda could think of was the same spot Rory had put his wife on the show. Deep, bellowing chants began, echoing throughout the room as all the doors around the base were heard slamming shut and locking. They were now completely trapped. Vastra and Dorium came down into the room in that moment, seeing the panic in everyone's eyes and hearing the Monks around them chanting as they closed in.

"What's going on?" Vastra asked, growing tense as she gripped at the long sword held at her side.

"It's Kovarian. She set up a trap for us," Wanda explained as she kept a firm hand on Amy.

"I knew they gave in too easily," Dorium muttered, looking disgruntled.

"Amy, over here," Wanda said quickly, pulling the mother and her baby away from the middle of the fight. She guided Amy over to a distance cluster of large metal crates and storage containers, letting the companion hide in the middle of a large group of them. Wanda crouched down along with Amy, holding a comforting hand on the woman's shoulder. "Stay here and keep down. We'll protect you."

"Wanda, no offense to the others, but, uh, you let them all die first before Rory, okay?" Amy asked jokingly.

"Amy! Shame on you," Wanda pretended to be insulted, but then gave a smile and wink. "But, yes, I'll keep your Roman safe." She kissed the top of Amy's head, rushing back over to the others.

They all stood in a circle formation with their weapons drawn and ready for battle. Vastra, Jenny, and Rory with their swords raised up in a fighting stance. Strax with his gun primed and ready for fire. Dorium . . . well nothing much on him. Wanda whipped out her screwdriver and pointed it out as her own defense. Rory glanced at her skeptically.

"Um, Wanda, I don't think a sonic screwdriver is going to be much use," he noted, disbelieving she would possibly think that would be any help.

"It works for the Doctor, doesn't it?" Wanda remarked with light humour in her voice. "Maybe I can just scare them off with it if I point it hard enough." She waved it around like a wand.

"There should be some plasma pistols somewhere," Lorna told them, swiftly going over to grab one of the guns herself from a nearby crate. "They left everything."