Chapter 28: Coronation Day

The Doctor stared at the Detective Inspector in front of him in boredom. The men had brought him into an office, sitting him down at a desk, and have been questioning and harassing him nonstop since they had caught him inside the cage with the rest of the faceless people. Those poor people, locked away like animals. It made him rather irritated how the police seemed to treat the people so poorly when they clearly needed help. He wished Wanda was here with him right now. She would give them a piece of her mind about how they treated the victims. Especially Third Wanda. Boy, could she talk one's ear off. He smiled fondly in thinking of the short blonde.

"Start from the beginning. Tell me everything you know," Detective Inspector Bishop asked him for the millionth time.

"Well, for starters, I know you can't wrap your hand 'round your elbow and make your fingers meet," the Doctor stated in a sassy tone. He wondered if Second Wanda would have laughed to that remark. Most likely. She might have even sassed along with him. He smirked some in thinking of what she might have said.

"Don't get clever with me," Bishop barked at him, pointing an aggressive finger. "You were there today at Florizel street, and now breaking into this establishment. Now, you're connected with this, make no mistake."

"Well, the thing is, Detective Inspector Bishop—," the Doctor began to speak rapidly.

"How do you know my name?" Bishop asked him.

"It's written inside your collar," the Doctor remarked, nodded to the Detective. "Bless your mum." Bishop adjusted his tie, seeming embarrassed for the Doctor to have spotted that. The Doctor moved on. "But I can't help thinking, Detective Inspector, you're not exactly doing much Detective Inspecting are you?"

"I'm doing everything in my power."

The Doctor rolled his eyes, feeling aggravated. First Wanda would probably be here telling him not to think too harshly of the humans. They were just doing all they could think to do. Of course, First Wanda was always so very understanding. Especially when it came to him.

"All you're doing is grabbing those faceless people and hiding them as fast as you can," the Doctor retorted. "Don't tell me, orders from above, hmm? Coronation Day, the eyes of the world are on London town, so any sort of problem just gets swept out of sight."

"The nation has an image to maintain," Bishop answered curtly.

"But doesn't it drive you mad, doing nothing?" the Doctor asked him. "Don't you want to get out there and investigate?"

"'Course I do," Bishop replied, looking just as irritated at the situation as the Doctor felt. "But . . . with all the crowd's expected, we haven't got the man power. Even if we did . . . this is beyond anything we've ever seen. I just don't know anymore." Bishop sat down on a chair across from the Doctor, looking to be at his wits end. The Doctor actually felt somewhat sorry for the man.

Bishop leaned towards the table to continue talking. "Twenty years on the force, I don't even know where to start. We haven't the faintest clue what's going on."

"Well, that could change," the Doctor told him.

"How?" asked Bishop.

The Doctor stood up, giving the Detective Inspector a serious gaze. "Start from the beginning, tell me everything you know."

Bishop nodded, directing the Doctor over to a large map with pins dotted around it on the wall. "We started finding them about a month ago. Persons left sans visage, heads just . . . blank."

"Is there any sort of pattern?" the Doctor questioned, giving the map a keen gaze of interest as they both stood in front of it.

"Yes, spreading out from North London," Bishop explained. "All over the city . . . men, women, kids, grannies. The only real lead is, there's been quite a large number in—."