Chapter 56: A Life on the Line

Wanda gasped as she and Melody leaped out from the office, falling towards the ground below. Lucky for them, there was a sort of small, curved, hanging roof right under the office way. So they slid down that before falling completely towards the ground. Before they reached the landing below, Melody had actually held the Time Lady close to her side so that way she would take most of the impact from her legs.

Since Melody had only just regenerated, then she knew she would be fine in getting any sort of damage. A broken leg could be easily repaired in an instant. For the Wanderer, however, if she broken anything, she would be limping around for quite some time before it healed properly from the natural healing energy within.

Wanda stumbled on her feet, a little off balanced from the fall. She was glad that she had kept her eyes closed for most of it. Falling from a high place . . . not on her top list of things to do today. Glancing upwards, she saw Amy and Rory poking their heads out from the hole above, looking down at them. Then the two retreated, possibly going to the Doctor and questioning on what to do next. Wanda only hoped that the Doctor was listening and would take action by talking with Captain Carter first.

"Come on, Wanderer," Melody said with excitement, grabbing onto the Time Lady's hand and steering her over to crouch down near some weapons crates next to the building's entrance. "You stay here while I get us a ride." Melody nodded her head towards the group of Nazi soldiers standing by a truck and a few motorbikes.

"Wait, Mels, don't—," Wanda tried telling the woman, stopping her from doing anything drastic. But Melody walked away in confidence, holding a gleeful smile on her face as she went closer to the soldiers. Wanda crouched lower, pinching her thumb as she felt anxious for Melody's safety. Watching the scene carefully from around the crates, the soldiers reacted immediately once they noticed Melody walking towards them, drawing their weapons and aiming the guns at the approaching woman.

"Hello, boys," Melody purred out, grinning at the lot.

"What are you doing here?" the one head soldier, questioned Melody.

"Well, I was on my way to this gay gypsy Bar Mitzvah for the disabled, when I suddenly thought, 'Gosh, the Third Reich's a bit rubbish. I think I'll kill the Fuhrer,'" Melody replied, voice filled with humour. "Who's with me?" The soldiers stared at Melody in almost disbelief before they glared angrily at her.

"Shoot her," ordered the head soldier.

"No!" Wanda exclaimed in panic just as the gunfire sounded off. She watched in horror as Melody's body jerked in sickly manner from the way the bullets hit her. She even wrapped her arms around herself, crouching low as if in agony. Once the gunfire had ceased, Wanda felt herself relax when seeing Melody looking at the soldiers with a wide grin. Oh . . . right. Melody was still in her first fifteen hours of regeneration. The bullets would merely be absorbed by her body as the energy would instantly heal her again. Nothing could really hurt her during these hours. But still . . . it was difficult seeing Melody be shot down by others.

"Tip for you all," Melody said to the soldiers, smiling almost darkly, "never shoot a girl while she's regenerating." Then suddenly, Melody flung back her arms as she stood fully up again, letting out a wave of golden energy that made the soldiers fly back and be knocked down onto the ground. All completely unconscious. Melody let out a manic laugh as she shook her head, letting the trailing sparks of energy fall from her crazy hair. She then proceeded to gather up the many large and small guns from the knocked out soldiers, strapping the weapons to her.

"It's all safe now, Wanderer," Melody said cheerfully. "Let's get a move on, shall we? The day is ever so young." Wanda cautiously walked away from the crates and around the fallen soldiers, watching as Melody hopped onto a motorbike, starting it up and revving the engine. Wanda scooted onto the bike behind Melody, gripping onto the woman's shoulders. She looked over her shoulder at the Time Lady, giving a wide grin. "So, new body, new town . . . let's go shopping!"