Chapter 20: The Final Experiment

Waiting outside Tallulah's dressing room, Wanda sat there thinking. Or at least she tried to think. Her mind was so muddled she could hardly put her thoughts together correctly. Everything just seemed so . . . wrong. She had ruined everything for the Doctor. For Rose. And now, she might not be able to fix things for River either. Wanda already knew the Doctor and River were both together. But time can be rewritten. And if things kept heading in the direction they were, time might just change for the worst.

"Hey, Wanda. Aren't you supposed to be helping the Doctor?"

Wanda looked up to see Martha standing next to her and staring down curiously. Wanda let go of her knees that she had been holding to her chest, moving to stand up.

"He had it covered. I came to hang out with you some," Wanda explained. She stood up, smiling at the girl. Though, the smile was somewhat strained. Martha raised a brow.

"Are you all right? You look upset," she asked, staring to the Time Lady in concern.

"Yeah, fine. Never better," Wanda waved off the girl's worry, dismissing it completely. "Besides, I wanted to see the show." She glanced over, seeing the many actresses walking by in their sparkling flapper outfits.

"Oh, you're gonna love it," Tallulah said brightly. She skipped out of her dressing room wearing her own outfit. More flapper angel than the devil costumes the other women were wearing. She grabbed both Wanda and Martha's hands, leading them to the stage.

Martha and Wanda waited behind the curtains off the stage. The actresses giggled and laughed, being patient for their cue to start the show.

"You know, I never got the chance to ask you about where you come from," Martha spoke to Wanda as they waited for the show. "I know the Doctor mentioned once about . . . multiverse . . . something like that. Did you not come from the same Time Lord planet like he did? Is there another planet of Time Lords where you come from?"

"No, I didn't come from Gallifrey. Or this universe, either," Wanda explained. "I come from a different universe, sort of parallel to this one. There are some differences between the two, but they're mostly the same."

"Oh, so did you come from another universe's . . . 'Gallifrey' was it?" Martha asked to be sure.

"Yes, Gallifrey, and no I didn't. I came from Earth like you. In fact, I wasn't even a Time Lord till I came into this universe. I was just a normal human like anyone else on Earth." Wanda stared off distantly, recalling fondly on her human life she once had. Oh, how she missed it.

Martha blinked in shock. "Really? How did that happen?"

Wanda shrugged. "Don't know. Just did. I don't even think the Doctor knows why."

"So where are you from, then? From your Earth, I mean? Do they have the same countries and everything?"

"Yeah, exactly the same. Pretty much everything from this Earth was also on mine. I lived in a small village in . . . in . . ." Wanda stopped, finding it hard to think on her village. She tried to bring up the name of her village and country. But every time she only found the memories to be blank. "I . . . I can't remember."

Martha furrowed her brows in confusion. "You can't remember? How come?"

"I . . . I don't know." Wanda thought it over carefully, trying desperately to sort through her mind and find a memory. A recollection. An image. Anything that might indicate why she could not bring up specific information. "It's not like I really forgot. It's almost as though . . . it was never there. Like there's never been a name for my village. Everything about it specifically is just . . . blank."