Chapter 5

As expected, their class's surroundings were noisy that year. Before her first year, she had never experienced that kind of disturbance. However, one thing did go against her expectations. jungkook had ended up becoming her deskmate.

After everyone drew lots, lisa found herself lucky enough to get the desk near the window at the back of the classroom. jungkook got the desk right in front of the chalkboard, but due to his height, the students sitting behind him couldn't see anything at all. The homeroom teacher spoke up for the grumbling students and asked jungkook a question.

"Can you go sit in the back?" The homeroom teacher seemed apologetic for having to ask this of jungkook.

"The back... Where exactly do you mean?"

"Hm, where would be a good place... How about the desk by the window all the way in the back?"

The homeroom teacher gestured to the desk right next to lisa. lisa's current desk mate was very short and had bad eyesight. It seemed that the homeroom teacher had taken this into consideration.

jungkook turned around. Their eyes naturally met. It would be awkward for lisa to look away now, and it would be even more awkward for her to smile at him. So she merely sat there and calmly stared back at him. He looked at her for a long while. Then he spoke up with his eyes still on her.

"...All right."

After that, although jungkook had become her deskmate, they never really spoke. Due to his work, he always left early. He didn't even attend school very often. After they had become deskmates, jungkook didn't necessarily do anything to bother her, but he was still an indirect nuisance. The female students would come by during breaks to observe him, and in doing so, they observed her as well. And these girls began to continuously ask her about him with no rest.

"Hey, lisa. Um..." lisa had decided to head to the cafeteria in order to avoid the gazes of the female students. Three girls from another class approached her. They had been in the same class as her in their first year, but because they were so different, they had never really talked.

lisa looked down at them in confusion.

"That is... you're deskmates with second-year Jeon Jungkook of Class 3, right?"

The girl had tied her hair in a high ponytail. Her tinted lips pouted flirtatiously as she spoke. It was a bit intimidating, but lisa didn't let her feelings show.

"Yeah, what of it?"

"Do you know jungkook's cell phone number?" The girls asked as their eyes sparkled.

"No, I don't."

"You really don't know?" The girls asked with doubt in their eyes.

"Yeah."

"But you two are deskmates."

"We are, but we don't really talk."

"Ah, really?" When they heard lisa's reply, the girls looked a bit relieved.

"Then can you ask for his number? Since you're his deskmate, I'm sure it'll be easy for you to get it. Or you can just take a peek at his cell phone. Right?"

"That puts me in a difficult situation."

"Hey, come on. What's so difficult about it? It's not that hard. I'm just asking you for his number. Hm? I won't tell him that you're the one who told me. I'll keep it a secret."

lisa looked down at the girl with indifference. The girls took her silence to mean that she was thinking about it, so they continued to chatter.

"I like him, you see. But I don't know any of his friends, and there was no other way for me to get his cell phone number. I just want to talk to him a bit, you know? So can't you help me out just this once?"

You sure can ask such a difficult favor so easily, huh? lisa thought as she glanced down at the girls.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not even that close with him. So you should ask him directly."

"How can I? That's too embarrassing."

"It's embarrassing for me, too."

It was more so annoying than embarrassing, but lisa just went with it and turned around. Suddenly, she heard biting comments coming from behind her.

"Geez, she's such a bitch."

"And why is she so tall? Is she really a girl?"

"Hey, let's just drop it. She's not worth it. Let's go."

lisa turned the corner as she heard the girls' venomous words. She already knew that people always attacked her height whenever they had something mean to say about her.

She didn't want to respond to them, so she pretended not to hear. Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks. It was unusual for her to see a pair of shoulders at her eye level. She felt like she knew who the person in front of her was.

As expected, when she raised her head, she saw jungkook's face. The fact that he had heard everything those girls had said made her feel humiliated. It was too late to go to the cafeteria, so she decided to go to the bathroom instead. She walked around him and was headed that way when...

"Sorry." lisa heard a low voice. She looked at him, thinking that she'd misheard. Then he continued to speak.

"I'm sorry you got drawn into stuff like that because of me."

"That's okay. You're not the one who's doing all this anyway. I'm sure you're tired of it, too."

She was basically telling him not to worry about it since it wasn't his fault. Jungkook stared at her.

"You're good at talking."

"......"

"So why don't you say anything when you're at school?"

"But you're the same way."

Just as lisa finished her sentence, the bell rang, indicating that break was over. She could hear the students running back to their classrooms.

A few kids hastily ran up the stairs and saw lisa and Jungkook standing together. Their eyes widened as they continued to make their way to their classrooms, but they repeatedly looked back at them. As if they'd discovered something big.

"break's over. Let's head back." lisa was the first to speak. She frowned.

She hadn't been able to go to the cafeteria nor the bathroom. She looked down at the black wristwatch on her pale wrist and checked the time before turning around.

"If I start talking a lot, will you do the same?"

"......"

Hearing those words out of nowhere caused her to forget the time.

"Were you talking to me?"

"Yeah."

"......"

"If I talk to you, will you answer me?"

"...Probably.Although she disliked being troubled, she wasn't so rude as to not answer someone who was directly speaking to her.

"All right, then."

What was all right?

Before she could ask, he walked past her.