Chapter 29

VOTE=BLOCK

Almost as if all the rowdy celebrations of the New Year had been a lie, the street was completely empty. It was cold, quiet, and lonely.

lisa's pace quickened as she grew closer to home. When she got on the elevator, she deliberately began to fill her mind with tasks she had to do.

Clear the table, do the dishes, clean up Jisoo's gifts, and... As she tried to think of more things to do, lisa got off the elevator. Her footsteps came to a halt. The tasks she had piled up in her head began to fade away like sand.

A man in a suit was sitting in front of her door. His long legs were folded underneath him, and it made anyone looking at him feel uncomfortable for him. His hand was holding the trophy she had seen on TV.

His disheveled hair. His profile as his eyes were lowered to the floor.

It was as if he were in a completely different world.

It was the happiest day of his life. He should have been having a blast at a party celebrating his win, so why was he here?

How did he find this place? Why was he here? She should have asked him, but lisa remained frozen as she stared at him.

jungkook discovered lisa a moment later and slowly got up. He approached her, his footsteps ringing in the silent corridor. Her head naturally went up so that she could keep her eyes on him. jungkook stopped in front of her.

His face looked gaunt. It looked like he hadn't been eating or sleeping these past few days. He must have lost some weight because his chin was a lot pointier than she remembered. She hated how she was able to recognize the changes in him, so lisa quickly turned her head away.

"Someone might see you. Go back." Having finally recovered her senses, lisa spoke in a cold voice. jungkook held out the trophy in his hand.

"What is this?" lisa's eyes went back and forth between him and the trophy.

"Take it." He spoke in a strained voice.

"Why should I?"

"I'll give this to you."

"......"

"So give yourself back to me." jungkook looked straight at her. His low voice surrounded her like a mist. lisa bit her lips. She felt her heart wrench inside her chest.

"That trophy was your dream."

"Yeah." jungkook's low voice sounded helpless.

"So why are you giving your dream to me? What does this mean? Now that your dream has come true, you want us to get back together and live happily ever after? As if nothing happened? Is that what you want?"

What about all the things I endured as you chased after your dream? You made me suffer all that just so that you could treat your dream like this once it came true?

The words were stuck inside her throat. Afraid that she'd begin crying if she said any more, lisa kept her mouth shut and glared at him. After hearing her prickly retort, jungkook slowly opened his mouth.

"I thought this was my dream."

"......"

"My dream wasn't this. It was you, Lalisa."

"......"

"It was to make you happy, but I misinterpreted it along the way. I thought that if I succeeded, we'd be happy. But that wasn't it." As he spoke in a calm tone, jungkook's face twisted into a frown. It was filled with pain and suffering.

As he stood in front of that mic, he planned on giving his words of thanks. However, nothing came out. All he could think about was lisa. But he couldn't even say her name, and he couldn't even send the signal that only the two of them would recognize. He felt numb.

I'm sure you're not even watching me right now. I thought this was our dream, but you're not here. So what am I even doing here?

At that moment, he finally realized that they had broken up. He felt as if all the warmth that had been enveloping his body had disappeared. He felt as if he were standing naked against the cold wind.

He glanced back down at the trophy. After he saw the heavy trophy within his tight grasp, he finally realized.

The reason why we're breaking up.

He had selfishly replaced lisa with this trophy. He thought with such confidence that in order to love, he had to be successful. And as time wore on, he often found that being in love was difficult. Love had turned into duty, and meeting her became an obligation.

And when he found himself feeling like this, he'd catch himself.

You mustn't grow tired. After you're successful, you'll become happier than anyone. You won't be tired like now. You'll be able to have a prettier love than anyone else.

As I grew even more exhausted, I only looked forward. And that's how I wasn't able to hear the dying cries of our love. As I continued to run out of duty and my own selfishness, I resented you. And you were hurting.

......And that's how I lost you.

Because of something as trivial as this, I lost you...

As he came to this realization, his vision turned blurry. 'Yes, it looks like jungkook-ssi is shedding a lot of tears.' When he heard the MC's words, jungkook finally realized that he had been crying.

When he was acting, he did his very best, but not a single tear would leave his eyes. He finally realized it after he had truly lost lisa.

Success without lisa meant nothing to him. Because his dream from the very beginning had been lisa's happiness.