Chapter 21

Leaning his back against the bench, jungkook bit down on the cigarette. He bit down too hard, and it burst open. The scent of the cigarette filled his mouth. A darkness settled within his eyes.

lisa always told him she was okay, but he always felt nervous. He didn't like saying or hearing that it was okay.

Some considered their bitter, poor past to be an illuminating light, but for him, it was a mark of shame. He didn't want to let lisa experience even a fraction of it. He didn't want someone he loved to have to cope with any hardships in the name of love.

However, the only kind of work he could do had its limits, and lisa silently watched over him as he went through these difficult times. No, she led the way so that she could get him out of it.

At his grandmother's wake, lisa stayed with him for three straight days as if she were part of the family. The funeral hall was empty, and none of his remaining family had come, but lisa never left his side. And she was the one who had given him a nameless envelope full of cash as condolence money. He grew angry and told her not to do something like this, but lisa denied it was from her until the very end.

"It's not me."

"Then who is it? Judging from the people who've come by, it's obvious. If it's not you, who could it be?"

"It must be someone you know. It's really not me." She continued to shake her head in denial. jungkook was sure it was her, but he couldn't return that envelope to her.

He didn't have any money to cover the funeral expenses. The money inside the envelope contained just the right amount of money he'd need. Only several years later did he find out that it had been a portion of the money lisa had saved up from her paychecks. By coincidence, he happened to see her bankbook in a drawer. That's when he knew. On the last day of his grandmother's wake, there was a withdrawal of the same amount as the money in the envelope. After the wake was over, he couldn't get rid of the nameless envelope. Instead, he put it deep within his desk. As he closed the drawer, he made a pledge.

He would never become someone like his parents. If he loved someone, he would never let them suffer. He would let them enjoy life to their heart's content. He would never let lisa have a taste of the excruciating life of poverty. He put his all into his work. And as if it were a reward for all the effort, the money started rolling in. The first thing he did was put down a downpayment for a larger office apartment rental.

He hoped it would be a home where lisa could live comfortably. lisa jumped up in joy as if they'd bought it. It was only a little bigger than their last place, but she was so happy... Although he felt that he was too pathetic for her, he was glad he could do something for her. So he had a smile on his face as he slept the following days.

This is enough. We can take our time and grow everything just like this. We can just live a steady life.

jungkook was renting the large office apartment for now, but he planned on buying an actual apartment when they were ready to get married. He hoped the apartment would have a master bedroom and a room for their children. He hoped that they wouldn't live in debt. And when the time came, he wanted to hold hands with her and go on trips together. If there was something they wanted to eat, he didn't want them to worry about it and just go straight to the restaurant. He wanted to share a decent, normal life with lisa.

And around the time he was gaining recognition and debuting as a supporting actor...

"Are you jungkook?"

Someone came to see him at the set. He wasn't sure how this man got in, but the staff didn't take him away. jungkook turned around. The director gestured to him with his eyes.

"Yes, I am." He didn't seem to be someone from the industry. If it had to do with work, they'd call him on his cell phone. It was strange for them to go directly to the set. The two men were on guard as they faced each other. Then the man spoke.

"I'm jungkook's father. If you have some time, I'd like to speak with you..." The filming for the day had just ended, so jungkook was exhausted, but he didn't show it as he followed behind lisa's father.

As he sat across from lisa's father, he couldn't help but see similarities between them. Pale skin, tall height, upright posture, and especially the graceful eyes. lisa's father handed jungkook his business card. He was the president of a well-known hospital. He knew that lisa came from a well-off household, but he didn't know it was to this extent.

"Nice to meet you. My name is Jeon Jungkook."

"I know. I heard that you were the man dating lisa, so I came to see you. Of course, lisa knows nothing about this. I came of my own accord, so I'd like for you to keep it a secret from her."

"Yes, I understand."

"I wanted lisa to get married at an early age and set her up for various marriage meetings, but she rejected them all. I wondered why, so I looked into it and discovered you."

jungkook realized that lisa's father had been having her investigated. And he had been included in the resulting report.

"I won't take up too much of your time. I'll get straight to the point. I apologize if this may seem too direct, but I would like my daughter to be married into an adequate household."

So break up with her.