17. If Only

Xile is in the middle of us, her head resting on Grey's chest as mine rests on her shoulder. We lay in her room watching cartoons and I can't help but steal glances at them. Warmness engulfs me as tears threaten to leave my eyes. My beautiful family.

We're happy and safe, and that's all I ever wanted. I rest my chin on her shoulder, admiring them and seeing the love he has for not only me but her as well. This man has corrupted my entire being and I'd let him do it a million times over.

Grey catches me staring and he uses his thumb to wipe the tears that fall down my cheek. He mouths "I love you" with a smile and I do the same as he rubs my head lightly. I rested my head on Xile's shoulder again and held her hand in mine, stroking it tenderly until we all fell asleep.

I look at the time on my phone as Grey rubs my back, sitting beside me. Xile sleeps behind us, it's 2 am and I rest my head on his shoulder. "Are you ready?" he asks. I nod my head and we stand up' we place kisses on Xile's forehead before covering her with the blanket and leaving the room.

He takes my hand and leads me out of the house. He presses something on his phone and the bright lights around the house turn on, lighting up the pathway.

Goosebumps cover my body and I'm not completely sure whether it's because of how cold it is or the fact that my biggest nightmares are feet away from me.

He stops, turning my body to him, "I'm right here with you, you don't need to be scared." I nod and he pulls me to his chest. I take deep breaths and he presses something on his phone and the bunker door slides open. I squeeze his hand tightly as my breathing stabilizes.

He takes the first step down the stairs, and I follow. I jump slightly as the heavy door closes.

Cálmate Anaís. Calm down, you are better than this.

It's huge in here, I wonder what's behind the other doors. I look around the heavily dimmed place as he enters the code into the keypad beside the door. He puts his hand on it and the door opens up. We walk in and the light turns on.

I look forward, Camilo's arms and legs are cuffed to a brick wall, his head hanging low. I look to the left of him, and Evelyn is in a wheelchair as Grey said.

That familiar feeling creeps its way inside me again and I smile. That feeling I love so much, a feeling I've had longer than I can remember. I walked closer to her and bent down, my breath fanning over her face. Her eyes are open, but she doesn't move an inch.

I cock my head to the side as I stare into her evil eyes. The woman who gave birth to me. The only person I hate more than my father.

A mother should protect and love, right? Why didn't she love us enough? Why couldn't she love us at all?

The table to the left of me catches my eye and I straighten my body before walking over to it. I can feel Grey's eyes on me as I take the scalpel and walk over to my father. He's sleeping.

I pull his head up by his hair, letting it hit the brick wall. "Wakey, wakey," I said slapping his face. "Don't worry, you'll be sleeping again pretty soon." We look each other in the eyes. He has nothing but hatred in his eyes and I have the same in mine.

My father, the man who was supposed to teach me how I'm supposed to be loved by a man. Instead, he taught me exactly how I'm not supposed to be loved. I was supposed to cry to him about men, instead, I cried to men about him.

It's too bad I'm not that scared, weak, and worthless little girl anymore.

"I hate you! Do you see what you've done to your mother you stupid little girl?" He spits out.