34. Home

"Mom, it's me. I'm coming in."

I quickly dried my face with the hand towel that sat on the wooden bath caddy beside the chamomile-scented candle.

I smiled warmly as she entered. "What's wrong mom?"

"Nothing's wrong, my love," I said as she sat on the floor beside the tub.

"In all my life, that's the only lie you've ever told me."

My lips parted slightly, "Why'd you say that?"

"Your eyes. They're bloodshot red, and your hands are trembling like they always do when you cry." She rubbed my hand that rested on the edge of the tub softly. "What's wrong? You can tell me."

I tilted my head back and closed my eyes taking in a deep breath. I placed my other hand on hers and squeezed as I sat up.

I knew I'd have to have this conversation with her and Grey, I just never thought it'd all be on the same day. I was only barely coping with my feelings on the subject, and I just honestly didn't know how to speak about it.

God, everything about this was so frustrating.

"I don't want you to feel like I love you any less, nothing or anyone could ever change that because you're mine. My daughter..." I looked out of the bathroom door and smiled at grey who sat on my vanity chair as he packed my beauty supplies, "Our daughter," I smiled.

I'd love her for the rest of my life, and if there was an afterlife, I'd love her then too. I'd do anything for her, lose anyone but not her. If there was one person I'd remember if somehow, someday I'd lost my memory, it would be her. She's everything to me.

My reason.

"I don't know how long it's been, but...what I'm trying to say is, I want a baby."

"Why would I think you'd loved me any different? I know how much you love me, mom." She said, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry for everything you went through, but most of all I'm sorry you have to keep going through it."

"I don't even know how to talk to Grey about this. What is the sense of speaking or being sad about something I can't change?"

More tears followed and soon after she left to go pack.

Grey entered the bathroom and turned on the shower, "Care to join me, angel?"

"Yes please," I smiled.

He took my hand and helped me out of the tub. He wrapped his arm around my back, pulled me to his chest, and rubbed my cheek with his thumb.

My heart fluttered as I looked into his eyes.

"We'll get through this, together. I promise." He said and I nodded. He kissed my nose before we stepped into the shower.

We walked down the stairs to the cars, hand in hand. He opened my door and kissed me before he got in and drove off.

I turned around to Xile and the twins, "Are you sure you want to leave? Don't feel pressured to."

"Stop it, it wasn't even a question if we would or not. You know that." Kaia said.

"We have to make a stop first, okay?" Grey said and I nodded as I turned around and looked out of the window.

The sun had just gone down and the city lit up.

I raised my eyebrow as Grey pulled into his parent's driveway. As we got closer to the house, I saw Grey's mom sitting on the steps with her suitcases beside her.

"Carmen and your mom told her they were leaving, and she called me refusing to stay here with my dad." He said as he put the car in park.

Carmen and my mom drove with Emilio and Mariano while the twins and Xile refused to leave me.