Bonus Chapter

9 Years Ago

Darkness is where it all began, so I thought it only right that's where I end it. In the shadows of my haunting castle where I swear if you listen close enough, you can still hear my screams bouncing off every piece of furniture and wall.  

It's about 2 am and as the few guards on duty are stationed around the castle, my parents are asleep in their room, the only thing on my mind is doing everything in my power to get Xile out of here and give her best shot at a better life. Even though I guarantee, anything would be better than this.

"I'll be with you as soon as I can, I promise but right now I need you to stay with Linda, do exactly as she tells you, and don't make a sound. Can you be a brave girl for mama?" I ask crouching down so our faces are at the same length.

She's shaking but she gives me a reassuring nod and places her hand on my cheek trying to console me for what I'm about to do. Placing my hand over hers I smile, the smile only reserved for her before wrapping her in my arms and whispering I loved her once more.

Straightening my back, I turn to Linda our maid, the lone suitcase in her hand as she awaits my orders.

"You have the keys?" I ask and she nods. "Please, if I don't make it out of here, I need you to get her as far away as possible." Her face drops for a split second before she nods again, "I promise,"

A chill runs down my spine as I go through all the scenarios in my head in which this could go wrong. But with one last look over my shoulder at my main reason for doing this, I brace my back and roll my shoulders knowing I could do anything because she was depending on me.

Opening the door that connects Linda's room to ours, I close it softly before opening my nightstand and grabbing the syringe. Hiding it behind my back, I slowly open my room door revealing the guard that stands in front of it. I furrow my brows as he turns to face me. "Please, I think there's something in my closet," I say lifting my fingers to my face and wiping the forced tears that fall down my cheek.

He groans and pushes me aside as he enters the room. As soon as his back is turned to me, I run forward and jump onto his back. Bringing my hand from behind my back, I jab the 20 ml syringe filled with tetrodotoxin into his neck. I wrap my arm around his neck squeezing tightly as he tries to shake me off. Eventually, his movements become lazy, and I jump off of him just in time to wrap my arms around his limp body and ease him onto the floor.

Grabbing the gun out of the holster clipped to his jeans, I shove it into my pajama pocket, keeping my hand tightly wrapped around it. I reach under my pillow and take my knife out before doing the same and shoving it into my other pocket, keeping my hand around it.

Peeking my head out of the door, I slowly enter the dark hallway. The only light emitting from the few sconces adorning it.

I'm light on my feet as I make my way down the long hallway keeping my eyes peeled for any guards wandering around the castle.

There are usually only a few on duty this time of night, one by our bedroom door, another at my parent's door, and two more by the front doors.

Sticking to the shadows, as I cross the main stairs, I look over the banister to see only one of the guards. He's leaning against the frame of the door, his head hanging low as he's no doubt fighting to keep his eyes open and alert.

As I make it to the end of the hallway, I open the door leading to the flight of hidden stairs. As I reach the bottom, the other guard turns the corner and I step back as quickly as possible hoping he didn't see me.