Chapter 22: Insomnia

"Master Couverture... Are you certain rushing in during a meeting is a pleasant idea..?"
Siri asked as they poured a cup of tea.
Couverture nodded his head as he cracked a yawn.
It was late at night, so Couverture planned to make the call the next morning, a much more fitting time.
Siri looked at their father in anticipation, not knowing what the man would possibly do next.

"Very well then. Excuse me for now Master Couverture, I'll be visiting Clotted Cream,"
Siri said before exiting the room. They headed to their own chamber where Clotted Cream and surrounded himself with books and was browsing through them like mad.

"Clotted Cream,"
"A-Ah!S-Siri! What are you doing here?"
Clotted Cream jumped as he hugged a book tightly to his chest.
"It's 1am,"
"I-I beg your pardon?"
"What I'm saying is... You're burning the midnight oil again,"
"A-Again? Now when have I ever stayed up this late?"
"When we made the chamber we first held you in, we had everything replicated as much as possible. Which includes anything in the bathroom. Too which we found a bottle of makeup. It was only washable if you scrubbed hard enough, and you seemed to use it often as there was many empty bottles in the bin of your previous chamber,"
Siri said as they slid their hand into their pocket.
"I-I... What are you implementing?"
Clotted Cream demanded as Siri pulled out a cloth from their pocket and applied something to it.
"Now... COME HERE!"
Siri yelled as they jumped onto Clotted Cream who desperately tried to get away as they enough the cloth to his face.

"N-No! I look ugly without it!"
"Well to bad then!"
Siri yelled back in response as they forced the cloth onto his face and scrubbed the make up under his eyes off as Clotted Cream let out several muffled yelps. As Siri finally managed to scrub it off, they threw the cloth to the floor, seeing it was stained with make up as they turned their head to face Clotted Cream.
His hands were clasped on his eyes, preventing his eyes bags from being seen. Siri seemed a little frustrated as they yanked his hands off instantly to see his eye bags.
"Noo! I look ugly!"
He yelled as he tried to cover Siri's eyes. His eyes bags were quite dark and heavy, they video see why he covered them with makeup.
"Ah... Could you stop looking at me..."
Clotted Cream stammered only for Siri to take a picture of him.
"Gah! No! Mercy!"
Clotted Cream yelled as he tried to persuade Siri to delete the photo.

"No. Now... You need sleep,"
"What? But I need to finish reading all of these-"
"SLEEP. Now,"
Siri ordered.
Clotted Cream whimpered and jumped a little out of fear.
"Apologies for scaring you... It's just sort of the only way to make you take care of yourself."
Sir muttered as they sat down and patted the empty space next to them, signalling for Clotted Cream to come over.
Clotted Cream came over reluctantly as Siri sat next to him.
"Why do I need sleep anyways..? The Crème Republicans say it's perfectly fine for me to stay up doing important things as long as no one sees my eye bags..."
"Well, they are wrong,"
Siri said before slamming Clotted Cream face first into a pillow.
"ACK!"
"Mhm..."
Siri let out a small hun as Clotted Cream let out a muffled yelp.

"Well, goodnight,"
Siri said before turning off the lights and going to sleep. Clotted Cream just sat there.

𝐼𝑡'𝑠 𝑎𝑙𝑟𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑦 𝑢𝑝 𝑙𝑎𝑡𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑑𝑜 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑘. 𝐽𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑤 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑒𝑦𝑒 𝑏𝑎𝑔𝑠. 𝑃𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 ℎ𝑎𝑡𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑖𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑑𝑜.

That was why his parents said to him. Work was always more important wasn't it? And it wouldn't kill him to not sleep a couple hours would it?
Clotted Cream had left a book on the nightstand, so it was tempting to pick it up and read.

So he slid out of bed, took the book, and headed to the chairs and sat down. He browsed through the book as a light was shown above him.

"...Siri?"
"No... Not Siri,"

He asked only to be responded by someone who didn't sound like Siri. A child. A child in a black hoodie, with black baggie pants and gloves which only covered this palms. They wore a black mask and had short fluffy dark brown hair like Siri.
"Who are you then?"
"I also have the nickname Siri. But I'm not the same Siri as the Siri who your friends with. My real name is Chocolate Ice Cream. You're like me,"
The child reliance's as they shown a flashlight on the book, making it easier to read it.
Clotted Cream raised an eyebrow, not exactly understanding what this 'Siri' meant.
"How am I like you?"
"You don't sleep. Your scared of getting in trouble but you want to do something you can't do. So you stay up late to do it,"
"Trouble? I'm not scared of getting in trouble. Siri just doesn't like it,"
"Mhm... I'm scared of getting into trouble..."
"Why?"

Clotted Cream asked Chocolate Ice Cream who perched on the table, their face slightly illuminated by the flashlight.

"My mother always makes me go to bed early. She's keeps telling me he will come in if I don't. But most of the time she's wrong. But I'm still scared he'll come in if I don't go into my room. So I lock the door and just play with my devices in the dark,"
Chocolate Ice Cream said as they pulled out a small device and started fiddling with it.
Clotted Cream was a little curious now. He wanted to know what was so bad about 'him'.
"You better go to sleep now... Your friend is going to wake up soon..."
Th e other Siri said.
"Huh..? Isn't only 2am..?"
"Insomnia,"
The other Siri said before vanishing.
And turns out, other Siri (Chocolate Ice Cream) was right. Siri did in fact wake up.

"Ack!"
"Huh..? Ah..? Clotted Cream... Wait... DID YOU STAY UP LATE AGAIN?"
Siri said groggily before raising their voice. Clotted Cream let out a yelp as he backed away only for Siri to pounce onto him from the bed, soon dragging him to the bed and tucking him in.

"If you wake up one more time to read a stupid book... I'm going to strap you to this bed until you sleep...Got it?"
Siri said as Clotted Cream nodded his head obediently.

Siri went back to bed while Clotted Cream laid next to them. Who was Chocolate Ice Cream..? And why did they come? Who was that 'he' they were talking about..?

Clotted Cream found himself thinking until he blacked out...

~Meanwhile~
Chocolate Ice Cream sat on their fountain pen as it hovered in the air. They took a bite of the chocolate ice cream they had and savoured the sweet desert.
They watched from outside as they saw Siri pounce onto Clotted Cream.
They gave a light giggle.
It appears the stubborn cookie is finally getting rest. They thought to them self before leaving...