«chapter twelve: shadows»

___________________

___________________

BROOKLYN'S POV

  I get a weird feeling again at the park, but by the time I do, we are starting to walk back to our cars at the place we ate at for lunch.

  Dick apologized at the park when we had a chance to be alone, and I couldn't stay mad at him for long for it, because I knew he meant well. I wasn't just if I was even mad at him or mad at the fact that I took the others down too easily given they wipe the floor with me every day.

  Still, when he wrapped his arm around me and kissed my forehead, I decided to let it go for tonight.

  But now that feeling is back, so when we pass the restaurant, I stop and tell them I need to go to the restroom.

  They nod and tell me they will wait as I go in to try to calm myself down and reassure myself that I am just overthinking everything.

  But when I get in there and stare in the mirror, trying to talk sense into myself, something moves outside of the window.

  I look up at it and my heart skips a beat as my fists clench, immediately recognizing the costumes of Shadows.

  I watch as a few run across the building to the side of us, and make my decision on what to do then and there.

Dick is going to kill me.

  I place my right foot on the sink, pushing myself up to the small ledge of the window. I unlatch the window lock and open it, pulling myself through and dropping onto the ground.

  My eyes scan the alley to make sure no one is following before I look back to the build where the Shadows disappeared.

And I follow.

  I climb onto the building, flipping over before I take out my belt from my compartment in my jacket and click it into place.

  Without another thought I run and jump from building to building, following their tracks and, soon, enough, I catch up to them, seeing them duck into a building.

  I stop when I get there, leaning over the skylight as I peer in.

  Four Shadows. They are talking to each other. No doubt there are more here or more coming.

  Which means they know I am in the area. And that means they could target Dick and the others.

  Which means I need to draw them all here. And I know just the way to do that.