«chapter eleven: date night»

___________________

___________________

BROOKLYN'S POV

"Cat, Artemis and I will go get a car," M'gann says as we walk out of the mall, "You guys can use Barbara's." M'gann smiles, making me snap out off my own thoughts as someone runs into me, bumping my shoulder. They don't look up as the keep going, making me raise an eyebrow before I keep going so I don't get behind.

"Ok... you sure?" Zatanna glances at me, probably wanting a chance to talk to me like all of the others have.

"Yup. We are sure." Artemis says stopping her with a smile as she throws her arm over my shoulder.

"Ok, come on girls." Karen, Raquel, Zatanna, and Barbara all walk to the closest Zeta-tubes.

"...Come on." Artemis says, starting to walk. I nod and follow her, her taking her arm back.

I don't miss the weirdness as another person narrowly runs into me, but I move out of the way. My eyes follow them, but they don't look back at me.

I turn and catch up with Artemis and M'gann, "So, why am I going with you guys? Not that I am complaining, but that was not that subtle." I nod behind us to reference the insist that I go with them.

"Because you can't hide that you are very uncomfortable." Artemis shrugs, looking back at me. "We can tell you are getting a little overwhelmed."

I sigh and grab my necklace, messing with it, "Is it that noticeable?"

"Only to us..." M'gann reassures me before she asks, "Are you ok?" She puts a hand on my shoulder, stopping me from walking.

"Yeah, it's just... different than everything I am used to," I sigh, trying to explain it, "You guys are all so invested in each other and making sure everyone is okay and it's just not something I ever had. Aside from my brother and Selina, no one knows me the way you guys know each other."

"I know it's an adjustment, Trust me," Artemis smiles softly, "But sooner or later it's going to start feeling normal. And I am sure Dick appreciates that you are trying for him. That's all he can ask of you, and he knows that."

"I hope so," I mutter, my necklace slightly buzzing as I move the clasp around the chain in a fast motion, "And don't get me wrong, they are nice and I like them, I just-"

"Don't know them?" Artemis finishes for me. "We understand, it's not really fair to throw you in and expect that you will be open with everyone," She says, her eyes filling with understanding. "You are a very closed off person, even to us still. You just need time, which we don't have a lot of." Artemis tells me, making me feel better.

"Thank you, you guys are pretty amazing." I smile trying to relax more despite my current situation.

Artemis and M'gann smirk as Artemis says, "We know."