«chapter sixteen: being benched»

___________________

___________________

BROOKLYN'S POV

  'Catgirl, what do you see?'  The communicator buzzes to life in my ear.

  I press it so Aqualad can hear, and say, 'They are loading the money.'

  Watching money be stolen right in front of me is really annoying. This is my point of expertise and they are doing everything wrong. I have been watching for what seems like days.

  'Red Robin, Miss Martian are you in position?'  I narrow my eyes at one of the goons from behind the display case.

  He is on the bigger side and seems to have taken interest in one of the jewels that I would have taken. It's also in the display case that I am hiding behind; not good.

'We are- Catgirl, do you-'

  'Shh.' Is all I say, worried that the guy would hear me, but it doesn't seem likely, he is in his own little world. Man, he will get a surprise in a minute.

  'What is happening, Alpha?' Aqualad's voice is slightly strained with worry at our sudden panics.

  I can only imagine what they others are thinking. I know for a fact that Dick hacked the computers, and that he is sitting beside Aqualad even though he is in charge of Beta and Gamma.

  Pressing my back to the wall, I hear Red Robin, 'I will take him out, I have a clear shot.' He made it sound like a question, which Aqualad said yes to.

'Catgirl, could you-'

'I got it.'

  I whisper, making the dumb goon walk closer, not even thinking to tell his friends that he heard something.

  Just as the goon gets to me, he stops abruptly, and starts to fall. I catch him, so he doesn't make any sounds and lay him on the ground.

  'Got him. I am moving.' I whisper into it. Making sure to duck, I move swiftly to a case a few feet away from where I was.

'They are new, I can tell.'  Red Robin huffs.

  'Oh yeah, they don't even know we are here, they didn't knock out the cameras the right way, and no one is the watch out.' I give in to my mini rant.