«chapter thirty-nine: unexpected help»

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

  I'm all for vacations, but the lack of action is getting to me. I have tried reading, but I can't get into it as I used to when I know what I am missing out on. It's like forcing myself to do homework.

  I can't sit still long enough to lose myself in between the pages.

But the worst thing is missing the Team.

  I missed Cassie being too hyper. Tim trying to get her to be quiet while Barbara laughing at him in the corner. Conner rolling his eyes at then. M'gann giving him a look for the eye roll. Mal and Karen always flirting even though they are already dating. La'gaan and Garfield arguing over what to watch. Jaime talking to himself randomly, and Bart talking about spoilers and the mode. Artemis and Wally teasing each other. And Kaldur watching it all while shaking his head because he is supposed to be the leader of the group.

I missed it all. I missed them.

  "What's wrong?" Nightwing asks as he sits down next to me in the kitchen.

  "Nothing." I mutter back, slightly shaking my head to clear my thoughts.

  "I know that look," He says, his eyes looking over me. "I barely go one day without seeing that look. Something is wrong." He leans his head closer to mine, his fingers gently turning my face to him so I am looking at him. "Come on." He mutters, his eyes pinning mine so I don't realize his hands are moving down to my stomach until he starts tickling me.

I squeal and try to get away as soon as possible.

"Tell me!"

  "Ok ok!" I shout to get him to stop, laughing slightly as I try to get away from him. He stops and I catch my breath, glaring at him,"Never do that ever again."

"No promises." He smiles at me.

"I miss being on the Team."

  His smile fades, because he knows where this is going, but he lets me go on.

  "I miss everyone. I miss feeling free to do whatever I wanted when I wanted," I admit, my eyes on him. "I miss the feeling of going out and not being scared that something will happen to me. I miss the way things were." I end, my voice turning into a whisper as my eyes fall to my lap.

  "I know. I promise that it will be the same again-"

  "I won't ever be the same again," I interrupt him, my eyes snapping back up. "I know that. But I don't want to live in fear for the rest of my life. If I wanted to do that, then I wouldn't even be here. " I gesture around us.

  "I know." He sighs, running a hand through his hair. I know it's killing him to see me upset and for him to be the one in my way. I know he isn't making easy choices either. He rubs my arm lightly, his eyes on his thumb as he does so,"Just give me time. Just a little longer." He looks up, his eyes soft as he takes me in.