«chapter forty-four: staying grounded»

___________________

___________________

CATGIRL'S POV

  I don't know what all happened after he helped me calm down. All I know is that a few minutes later, Artemis, Wally, Dinah, Tim and Bruce are there.

  He doesn't help them, he doesn't even look at them.

  He just holds me in my place, not letting me look at anything. One hand is pressed to the back of my head which is keeping my head buried in his neck. The other arm is wrapped tightly around my back, hugging me to him.

  His chin is sometimes rested on my head, but it is mostly bent down close to my face, so he can whisper to me to keep me calm and grounded... but mostly to keep me from looking at the ground where there is blood and glass everywhere.

  I hear them step on the glass from the shattered table and the broken picture frames on the floor. And each time someone steps on the broken glass, they shatter even more, crunching into the floor.

  I can't help but think that I am like the glass. Hayley broke me, but, after everything that I have gone through, I think Ra's al Ghul finally shattered me. He shattered me into tiny pieces that I am not sure I can put back together.

He took everyone away from me.

  He took my brother's life just so he could train me. He took the only family I had from me and I can never have him back.

He separated Dick and I and, even now that we are together, it's not the same. Every time I am with him, I think about that version of me killing him. Putting a sword through his chest and watching him fall to the floor.

  And now? He took away, and possibly killed the woman who took me in and saved me from myself. I owe everything to her. She was always the one who cared for me and watched over me even when I didn't know it. She was the one who never gave up on me, and believed that I was a hero and I wasn't meant to be a villain. She put me on the team against my will, and gave me some of the best moments of my live because of it. She made me who I am. I owe her everything.

And now, she may be dead because of me.

  I shake my head to myself as I try to stop thinking this way.

  Taking a breath, I calm down and focus on Dick's heart beat and his breathing.

"Here is her phone." I hear Wally say.

  Dick moves his head to rest his chin on my head, shakes his head, and moves it back down next to mine.

  I hear him walking away, the glass crushing under his feet.