Chapter 34

"Y-Your Majesty...!"

The vassals could not hide how taken aback they were at the command that was too different from what they expected.

However, when the emperor's cold eyes passed over them, everyone bowed their heads as if they never tried to speak up.

At that time, one of the vassals who politely avoided the emperor's gaze raised his head.

"Your Majesty, may I dare speak up?"

"Speak then."

It was Duke Pacour who calmly opened his lips.

The Duchy of Pacour was a household that contributed to the founding of the Northern Empire. Hannibel Pacour took over the Duchy around the time of Siervian's birth, and he was known to be an ambitious man. He was also Empress Cybelle's older brother.

"I apologize for the impertinence, but I'm afraid that the timing is not good, sire."

At the brave words that he spouted, the center of the throne room had become so quiet that their ears rang.

"Timing? You say that timing something to be considered more important than my daughter's birthday..."

Tapping on the armrest of his huge throne, Alderuan spoke in a low tone. It was a quiet voice, but it was nothing less than striking as lightning.

Alderuan Erveldote. The Emperor of Iron and Blood, who led the Third Continental War to victory, was famous in more ways than one.

"That's right, Your Majesty."

The reputation built on blood was usually something that would strike fear.

However, Alderuan dispelled such fears a few years after he ascended to the throne as emperor.

Because of his outstanding sense of diplomacy, his powerful command over magic, and the many practical policies he had passed, he gained the support of the empire's people.

Therefore, Emperor Alderuan was revered as a wise emperor by his subjects.

"Do explain, Duke."

Even so, the side of him that was a war hero never left him.

If the empire's people praised His Majesty's mercy, then the duke and the other vassals feared the emperor.

This was because the emperor was merciful to the people, yet relentless towards aristocrats.

"It is due to the situation in Garambell, sire. While one side of the continent is suffering, our Empire should hold back and—"

"So what you're saying is that Garambell is in danger, therefore my daughter's birthday shouldn't be celebrated."

The emperor cut off the duke's words ferociously, but the duke just bowed his head calmly.

Seeing him confront the emperor in this way, the elderly vassals just gulped dryly. They could sense what lay beneath the duke's words.

"Firstly, there's one thing wrong with what you said, Duke."

"Please enlighten me."

"Garambell is no longer in danger. The news arrived here at the palace today that cases of the epidemic had declined sharply."

Because it was information that he had yet to get his hands on, the duke inwardly cursed.

"In particular, the elderly King of Garambell had also recovered. Do you think that the Empire should still lay low?"

It wasn't easy to get in touch with people during the storm season because communication spells became several times harder than usual. The mages surmise that it's because of the strong weather that mana becomes unstable.