twenty two

My phone screen lit up again, indicating there was a notification. I opened Kakoachat to see 27 unread messages from Taehyung and Jimin. My eyes widened seeing their messages asking me if I was okay. I texted them back saying I'll talk to them tomorrow before silencing the phone again. To my suprise their old school wasn't too far. It was weird seeing such a determination in both of them to find answers.

The familiar gates sent back all the memories I wanted to forget. It seemed even worse for Heejin and Lisa. I walked ahead then stopped, going back seeing them both still on their place, taking in their surroundings. It was like an old woman seeing her highschool, all the memories- both good and bad flooding in.

"Shall we go?"

They looked at me and nodded, following. Luckily Lisa had the pic of her old dance team which was enough for the guards to let us in. I looked at the exact building where I saw Heejin fall. I looked at her eyes, getting her attention then pointing at it. Words weren't even needed at this point. She gulped and nodded understanding what I said. I saw them eyeing their surroundings with bitter smiles.

I didn't know if this was a good sign but turns out the CCTV room was on the terrace. I looked at Heejin wondering if she will be okay but instead she muttered a "Let's go." Unfortunately the 11th grade still had their classes on so they couldn't see their old classrooms. We reached the terrace, Heejin having a sad grin drawn upon her face, looks back at us and points ahead.

It was another building, much more luxurious and taller than the terrace we were on. The bottom half of the building was covered by tall trees that surrounded the highschool.

"That's my dad's office. If he knows I'm here he's gonna get mad but I hope it's worth it."

I chuckled.

"It will be."

We went back towards the CCTV room, thankfully a guard sitting in.

"No way? You're Hyunjin really?"

She nodded uncertainly. He looked behind shuffling into a couple of boxes on the floor as we stood there awkwardly. He picked up a yearbook and I looked at Heejin and Lisa who seemed surprised. It occurred to me that they might not have had the yearbook since none of them made it till the last week of highschool.

He opened up a page, looking carefully then practically drowning Heejin in his gaze before he smiled.

"Hmm. You look alike."

"Sir do you mind me seeing the yearbook? I never actually got one-"

"Later, after we see the CCTVs." I interrupted Heejin, who agreed.

"Ahh... you guys want the CCTVs. I'm really sorry to say this but looking back 3 years will take a lot of time, and anyway the CCTV of that date was deleted, from every part of the school."

"Sir, isn't there any way to get the CCTV? Or some back ups."

"I wish there was but really, the media is empty."

I looked at Heejin and Lisa who seemed defeated.

"Can we atleast see CCTV footages from before that? Around the school... maybe we will find something?"

"Yes... but you won't get it now and to show you guys CCTV footages you need to be some sort of police or something so I will need permission first."

Heejin's phone rung at the moment as we looked at her, who seemed to be  convincing someone to stay longer.

"Sorry guys, I need to go. My dad is calling me and this place makes my head hurt."

"Stay a little longer." Lisa tries convincing her but she says since her dad's office is right infront, he's waiting for her with his car.