twenty four

The devastated girl enters the classroom filled with chatters which then turns quiet. She sat on an empty seat in back then facing the figures in front of her.

"Vernon is sad and it's your fault."

She looks at the boy a few seats ahead who had red eyes and dried up tears while a few students comfort him. She couldn't believe how he faked things up so well after everything he had done.

Only a week had passed after she and him had become close and that closeness hadn't lasted long. He asked her to lend him a large amount of money in cash, which he took up from the bank account. He promised her he'd return it, and she needed him to fulfill that promise if she didn't want her parents to get mad at her.

They were still only highschool students. If ones parents got to know their daughter lent such a large sum of money to a fellow classmate, who wouldn't be mad? Even if her family was filthy rich, she never made their money a part of her personality. Always down to earth, she thought she had to help him like anyone would but the promise of returning the money was never fulfilled.

It got the point where she yelled at him demanding the money back. What would she tell her parents? What example was she setting upon them? She thought he'd realize her stubbornness and return it but no he had other plans.

The next day a rumour spread saying Hyunjin was a bully, threatening him and taking advantage of her high position. He told everyone how she tricked him into doing work for her and he could only obey the richer friend, afraid of having to face the consequences set by the rich family if he didn't follow.

Everyone sympathized with him, turning the rich girl into the bad one in the picture. Everything he said was believed and she was labeled as a toxic girl who took advantage of a man's vulnerability.
She was helpless. Her few friends- who were only friends with her for money, then turned against her too. She was left all alone and received the most hate from Vernon's best friend.

Lisa.

They were so close. They didn't have the most memorable relationship but they were in the same class, with same memories, which have now been erased from Lisa's mind. Lisa couldn't believe people like Hyunjin existed. It wasn't until one day after her suicide she came across the black remote like device which turned out to be a voice recording.

It had Hyunjin's voice, her having a conversation with Vernon about the truth. The truth of him scamming her for money and then pretending to be the victim. It was one of Lisa's worst shocks hearing her best friend's unraveled truth.

This one recording made it easy to understanding what really was going on behind the scenes. She left everything and knew she had to get it to the police station first but to her suprise Vernon was standing there, right behind her.

She argues, telling him how he was a disgusting person who fabricated the whole thing and she'd get the truth out with the recording. She then sees him approaching her and she knew she had to make a run.

She runs, ignoring the muffled voices in the back. She doesn't seem to pay much attention to the corner which eventually leads to her head being banged. She didn't care about the pain. She wanted to get up and run, proving someone's innocence that had been overlooked for so long. She had that voice recording with her, protected till the end.