twenty seven

I saw Heejin right behind me with eager eyes and I knew what was happening. I looked ahead and saw them gone already so I closed the glass door, staying back. I knew we'd have to do this no matter how much I ignored it for the past few days. And I knew what I had to say, I knew how I felt.

"What is it?"

"Yuri... y-you know it right?"

She looked at me with her eyes glistening, either because of the moonlight or because she was trying to prevent her tears from falling. I saw her gulp and her lip quivered a little before speaking.

"Yuri, I'm sorry. I'm sorry f-for everything I've caused to you. I-I know I need to apologize to a lot of people but I thought you deserved the biggest one."

"You know a sorry doesn't change the past right?"

We had a direct eye contact, her eyes so hurt and tired but I knew I couldn't just move on with my life with her pretending like nothing happened. She had done a lot, put me into a hot mess questioning my own sanity. I had no idea what was going on. It was lonely, it took up all my endurance until I was finally ready to give up.

My voice was cold and firm, even me myself not believing it but there was no going back now. I couldn't look at her the same even if she cries or begs. It'll take me a long while, probably forever to finally forgive her and get things back to normal. Even though I know she's suffering, probably a lot more than I am, I had to cut this rope of misery trapping us together from so long. It was for the good, not all stories were meant to end happily.

Heejin's eyes and nose were puffy already. The light falling on her created a warm ambience with the dark night sky and the moonlight falling on us. And still, there was nothing warm about this. The shine allowed me to see the tears building up in her eyes as I fought, preventing mine from falling. It almost made me want to break down telling her it will all be fine hearing her cracked sorrow voice.

"Yuri I-I know it's h-hard for you but I-I'm suffering too."

"Because of what you did."

She looked at me as I tried pushing away the voice in me yelling at myself, for not showing any sympathy towards her. It was then that the memories flooded in me. All the times we bunked classes together, bickered like real friends, made people question our sexualities, her weird- what I called "traumatizing" laugh, all the times we shipped teachers. It was all a part of her plan, to get close to me to get her revenge.

And she got her revenge. From someone who never hurted her.

I heard a sniff as I saw her rubbing the tears rolling down her cheeks.

"You know Yuri, a-after the fall I-I had to spend seven months in the hospital. I-I always wondered why no one from my school came to visit me. I was alone i-in that sickening room f-for so long I-I went insane."

My eyes turned red this time as I continued to listen to her, who was on the verge of breaking down. Her voice quivered, her words were barely understandable with all her cries.

"I had no friends f-for those three years. I-I got mad t-thinking I'd kill t-the person who killed me. A-and then I met you, I-I always thought there was n-no way such a sweet girl killed me, a-and that c-caused me to h-hate you from the i-inside even more." She continued, looking away from the girl infront of her, who now was sobbing.

"But everytime w-we hung out, I'd always have my mind at peace. I-I thought I finally had a friend w-who loved me a-and cared abo-"

Heejin finally broke down, letting everything out as she felt Yuri run and hug her doing the same. They shared a good minute crying into their embraces realizing how much platonic love they shared. It was then that they knew this was probably their last hug. They knew they had different ways, they couldn't be together even if they forced each other to.