32

The ride to dinner was quiet, only the occasional cough would separate through the stuffy air inside the car.

A feeling of relief swept over the four of you as you exited the car.

It was a favorite of your family's, expensive for sure but for good reason as the food was delectable.

Once you were all seated and orders taken, the awkward silence once again returned to the atmosphere.

Your hand was currently being held by Katsuki's own on his lap next to you, his thumb absentmindedly tracing over the back of your hand.

Your mother was the first to speak.

Clearing her throat quickly, she asked "So have you decided on a major yet?" The question was directed towards you, and you felt yourself tense up slightly, making Katsuki's eyes shoot over to you.

"Uh...I'm not sure yet. I think I want to do something with science because I liked the biology course I took this semester...but I dunno yet..." you expected the usual sigh of disappointment from your mother, but it never came.

When you peeked up to look across the table she was only gently nodding her head.

"I think it's a great idea, if that's something you want to pursue. There's many options available to you in a science based degree."

Staring for a moment with wide eyes, you snapped out of it and felt a small smile happen across your face at the direction your mother took. It seemed like she was actually trying like she said.

Out of the corner of your eye, you saw the corner of Katsuki's mouth tilt up in response to your reaction.

"I agree. Your doing great sweetheart." Your father praised you, and you couldn't help but looked shocked.

"What?" Your father asked when seeing your wide eyes staring at him.

"You just never called me that before.. or told me anything like that." You shrugged with the last part, looking around the restaurant to avoid his eyes.

Looking back, your father had a small frown on his face and looked guilty.

"I'm truly sorry. We really have let you down over these years." His words were low but audible.

"It's okay...your trying now.." you rubbed the back of your neck awkwardly in an attempt to diffuse the melancholy atmosphere that was beginning to settle about the table.

Thankfully the waiter returned with your food, so the four of you were able to fill the silence with eating.

Small talk was made throughout the meal, the table settling into a more manageable yet still uncomfortable mood.

After dinner, the ride home felt long but not entirely as uncomfortable as it was on the way to the restaurant.

"Thank you both for joining us for dinner. Do you need anything before we head to bed?" Your mother asked you.

You shook your head. "No, I think we're okay. Thank you though. And thanks for dinner." Your reply made your mother give you a smile as she gave you a short nod and then turned to head to bed.

With a dramatic sigh, you flung yourself onto your back on the mattress.

Hearing his heavy footsteps, Katsuki stood at the edge of the bed looking down at you with a slight smirk.

"I don't know if I'm ever gonna get used to them being like....that. It's weird but not....not entirely unwelcome." You confessed as you stared at the ceiling.

Katsuki hummed, and you felt him bump your legs with his knee, making you look at him.

"Let's take a shower and go to bed." He reached out a hand to help you up, but you pushed it away and rolled over huffing.