Chapter 13

Hanbal stared at the girl in front of him. She was beyond filthy. She wore a thin gray dress and shoes that has been worn out and eaten by rats. And on her neck was a simple necklace with a small amulet dangling from the leather string. And from her head to her toes there was dirt and mud covering every surface and crevasses of her body.

But her eyes remained clear and pure, like a newborn child that hasn't experienced the wrath of the world.

Her peach color eyes reminded him of cherry blossoms back in his hometown. And her hair was as white as snow, while her skin stayed fair under the dirt and filth.

She was obviously blessed with otherworldly beauty. Compare to her, he felt like an albino cockroach.

In the book, the author made it a mission to exaggerate on her beauty and innocent. Every time she appears in front of a mob character, the author would go on a writing spree to explain the loveliness she possesses in the eyes of others.

Even though the Fl has done things that caused others to suffer harsh consequences, instead of pinning the blame on her, people would instead blame the actual victim and call them evil for making the Fl look bad.

And since she looked so innocent and faultless, people would automatically assume she was in the right. No matter how cruel she was towards other cannon fodders, it'll always be the cannon fodders who suffer while the Fl will thrive.

It was obvious that the author is an all-time simp when it comes to Fl.

But Hanbal had mixed feelings toward her. While he wished to avoid her and make himself seem as useless as possible, a small part of him was also scared of her. Protagonists of any story will have plot amour as their bitch, so no matter what he does, he knows it'll be fruitless against her protagonist's halo.

And now that she's in front of him, he doesn't know what to expect.

"Greeting, sister," He smiled lightly. It's best to act mild and temperate since he doesn't know what twist she has in her character setting. Once she reveals her true colors or shows signs of having a defect in her character, then he'll treat her accordingly.

"Hello brother. My name is Berenike Kazazian, from now on, I'll be your sister!" She said happily. Her eyes glowed excitingly. Her smile was so pure that it made Hanbal feel like a paranoid freak for putting his guards up against her. But he reminded himself to not put down his guard.

After all, even a bunny is capable of baring its teeth.

"I am Hanbal. I hope we could get along," He said and gave her a closed-eyed smile. He felt the air around him start to shift a little, but it soon returned to normal.

"Yes yes! Let's make sure to get along with each other! I'll be sure to be on my best behavior!" She said happily and quickly jump to hug him. But Hanbal wasn't too much of a hugger, so he avoided her hug and instead gave her a pat on the head.

"Haha! I'm sure we'll get along just fine!" He laughed lightly.

Berenike was exactly like what the author has described her as. Nice and pure. Like a saint.

But why can't he get rid of this paranoia?

"Now that you've introduced yourselves, Hanbal, come with Papa. Papa needs to show you all the things he's brought from outside." Osric grabbed Hanbal and picked him up from his waist. Hanbal just sighed tiredly in his head and let the old man carry him away.

But before he turn to leave, he did a hand gesture to the old butler, who appeared out of nowhere. The old man bowed politely and proceed to lead the Fl elsewhere.

This sight of the old butler caused shivers to travel down Hanbal's spine. Ah, so that's why he's been feeling paranoid. Hanbal always wondered whether the old butler was a ghost wearing the skin of a human being. But the old butler used to be a notorious hitman, so that explained the mouse-like stealth.

But again, nothing in the novel match up to what's happening right now. So he'll need to check for himself.

"Papa. Where did you find her?" Hanbal asked, curious to see if the origin of the Fl is similar to the one in the novel.

"Ah, I found it on the streets." Osric's reply was short and simple. It was as if he was talking about a stray animal instead of a human being.

"Oh... Was she alone?"

"Yes. It was alone on the streets when Papa found it."

"Ah, is she going to live here from now on?"

"... Why are you asking so many questions? Are you interested in it?" Hanbal bit his lips and stared up at Osric's peerless face.

Oh no, he's mad again. It's never a good thing when Osric gets mad. He remembered in one of the chapters of the novel where a small noble family pissed Osric off, so Osric killed everyone in the family and put the family's name on the blacklist.

"No...Hanbal was just curious..." Hanbal said in a warm tone.

Immediately, the darkness that surrounded his face immediately cleared up, and a smile slowly made its way across his face.

"If Hanbal wants it, Papa could give it to you."

What? I-is he hearing this correctly?

"It could be used as a maid or a pet. And if you are unsatisfied with it, Papa could just throw it out."

Is he talking about the Fl?! And why the hell is he calling the Fl an 'it'??

"Ahaha, Hanbal doesn't want a maid or a pet! Hanbal was just curious about his sister!"

Well, having the Fl has a maid might not be a bad idea either.

"Hm... Alright. But if you want a new sister, tell Papa and Papa will get one for you." Osric said and gave Hanbal a small kiss on the cheeks. Hanbal just smiled politely and nodded.

Whoever wrote the characters in that novel is a fucking nutjob. 

_____

Fun fact: The novel in this book is actually a book I wrote a few years ago. It was supposed to be a Diabolik Lovers fanfic.... Ah, I am so shameful of my past self... ╰໒(⸝⸝⸝⚆Ĺ̯⚆⸝⸝⸝)७ノ