Chapter 40

It was a bright sunny morning. Birds were chirping in the skies, and people were out either going for a walk or walking their pets. It's a bright, happy morning because it's the start of the weekend.

Everyone is happy. Everyone but the people in his neighborhood.

His neighborhood is infamous for housing fresh-out-of-jail convicts and druggies. It's far away from the police station and is very well hidden. For one to navigate their way to his neighborhood, they would need a map since there are a lot of alleyways and dead ends.

Even though it's the kind of neighborhood that people would tell their children to avoid, it's the same neighborhood that he has been living in for 18 years. He remembered the entire layout and knows everyone and everything in the community.

Most of the people who lived in a place like this were people who were at their lowest in life. Some were from poor families while others were just old people who wanted to live a quiet life. Even the few 'druggies' and 'convicts' were peaceful and calm.

Because of the reputation this place holds, the rent was astonishingly cheap and there's barely any trouble. In his opinion, it was the perfect place for people like him and his father.

The 'house' he resides in is a one-bedroom 'house' with a bathroom and a kitchen. It's small, about 21x21 feet wide. Well, everyone who lives in this neighborhood lives in the same house he lives in. It might be small for normal people, but in his opinion, it's the perfect size for a family of two.

Ye Joon hummed lightly and opened the door to their house. He shook off his shoes and placed his bag on the ground beside him. The floor was made of bamboo wood and so is most of the furniture. The kitchen consists of a miniature stove, a sink, and a little round table. It's attached to the living room that has a simple couch and a tv. It's small but perfect.

When he turned on the lights, he was pleasantly surprised to see his appa sitting by the tv. Usually, on days like this, his appa would still be working until midnight.

"Oh, appa!" He said excitingly and ran up to his appa.

His appa's name is Makalo Ababio, a construction worker during the day, and a bartender during the night. His appa is a very hardworking man with the prettiest smile. He is also a very talented man whom Ye Joon looks up to.

"Hello, Joonie. How's school?" Makalo asked gently. His voice was as soft and as freshening as spring. Despite being only 38, his features looked more wrinkled due to stress, and curly gray hairs were growing out of his head making him look even older.

"School was ok. But appa, why are you here? Did something happen at work today?" Ye Joon asked. He sat beside his appa and looked at him with a concerned face.

"Something happened at work so the boss let us off early. Why do you ask? You don't want me here or something?" Makalo joked with a smile. His smile was beautiful. It was the kind of smile that makes you want to smile. It's bright, captivating, and lovely.

Ye Joon just blushed lightly and stammered, "No! I am happy that you're here! I was just...concerned..."

His appa doesn't like to miss even a day of work. Even if he's sick or injured, he would still make an effort to show up.

That's why whenever his appa is ill, Ye Joon would lock the doors and hide the keys just so he won't run off to work again. Ye Joon couldn't count how many times his appa would try to sneak out just to be forced to return home.

The reason why he was so adamant about going to work was that he didn't want his paycheck to get deducted. If he missed a day, his boss would deduct some of his wages. It happened multiple times before. Even if he had only 1 sick day off while others had many, his boss would still deduct some of his paychecks and ignore the others. It's not because of something his appa did. It was because of some personal prejudices and ideas.

Ye Joon couldn't count the number of times he had to hold himself back and not beat up that jerk of a boss. His appa is already suffering enough. So why can't the Gods just give him a break?

"Ah! Appa, since you're here, wanna go get groceries with me?"

It's been a long time since they've spent any time together. They are usually busy with work and other things to properly spent enough time with each other. The only time they get to spend with each other is during dinner and on weekend nights.

"Sure darling," Makalo said warmly. Seeing his son so happy and energetic makes him content.

He wasn't able to be there for his son since he had too much to do. But Ye Joon is the only thing that kept him going. Ye Joon is the reason why he didn't just...die. Whenever he thought of ending it all, he thought of his only child and the misery he would go through. He didn't want his son to be burdened with this life-crushing debt. He didn't want his son to go through the things he had to go through as a child. He needs to live long enough to fully pay the debt just so his son could be free to live without any burden.

As a father, he will do anything for his son's happiness.

"Appa, shall we make stir-fry today? I just recently got my paycheck so we'll be able to afford some nice beef!" Ye Joon said excitingly as they walked through one alleyway to another.

"Sigh, Joonie... Didn't I tell you to quit your job and just focus on your studies? I don't want you to experience any more stress outside of school." Makalo sighed lightly and intertwined his hands around Ye Joon's in a comforting manner.

Ye Joon just looked away with guilt and promptly ignored his comments. He knows how important education was for his appa, but he still felt guilty and sad. He wants to help. If he could take the load off his appa's shoulders, even if it's just a little, then he's fully satisfied.

"Joonie..."

Ye Joon pouted and looked down.

"But...I just wanted to help you..." He whined cutely, almost like a spoiled child. Makalo just looked helpless and rubbed his fluffy hair.

"I know dear... But if you wanted to help me then just focus on your studies. Only by doing so, I'll be pleased."

Ye Joon grumbled but nodded his head. Fine, if that's what his appa wants...

After receiving a nod, Makalo just smiled merrily. He patted Ye Joon's head to show that he was happy and content. His Ye Joon is a good kid and a wonderful son. There was never a day when he wasn't thinking of him. Life might be hard right now, but he will stay strong for his son. 

_____

Ok...So, I just read this awful webtoon and now I am homophobic. Its safe to say that I am no longer bisexual and is now fully straight. 

Ps: I feel like if any of my characters were alive, they would form a hunting party and hunt me down and torture me until I am 100 years old or something.