we shouldn't

as i reach back into the bag of decorations, i feel like my back is literally gonna snap in half.

tonight is thursday night and jack and i are decorating the house for the party tomorrow. juliet is chilling in my room watching my little pony, which for some reason stuck with her. now both of my best friends are in love with my little pony.

and asher is out with his friends. it's 11pm and we're all waking up early tomorrow.

"ar, can you hold this end of the string lights up so i can tape them?" jack asks from across the living room.

he's the only person who calls me ar. and he's the only person i'll allow to call me ar.

"sure" i answer, going over to stand on the couch to hold the string lights up.

i think the house looks really good for tomorrow. which is obviously because i picked the decorations.

jack and i have always taken birthdays really seriously. and it'll always be that way. you can catch us throwing bangers for our 70th birthdays.

"you're gonna fucking love the present i got for you" jack smiles.

he's probably right. jack always gives the best gift every year.

"can i get a peak?" i say quietly.

jack playfully slaps my shoulder and shakes his head. "you know there's no peaking allowed. anyways, was this the last decoration? i'm tired as hell."

i sigh and turn my head across the room, jack following in pursuit. our eyes meet another two bags of decorations that need to be put up.

"as much as i would love to decorate, ar, i can't do another two bags" he sighs heavily.

i gasp sarcastically, "what happened to your can-do attitude? it's a birthday!"

"my body is aching" he whines.

yikes.

"then go to bed, juliet is probably ready for bed too" i smile weakly, already dreading the rest of the night.

jack takes my hand to help me down from the couch and smiles back before flicking me on the forehead walking to the stairs.

"good luck" he coos before disappearing.

thanks, i'll need it.

i trudge over to one of the bags and open it up.

it'll all be worth it. i paid for the decorations, i'm gonna put up all the damn decorations.

the reason i decided to tell jack to go to bed is because i can tell he has to be really tired. he's so tired he couldn't finish decorating for a birthday. usually he's the one telling me to keep going.

he needs the rest for the party, anyway.

before this gets more boring than it needs to be, i grab my phone and connect it to the speaker to play music while i decorate. maybe one direction can save me.

i grab some tinsel and make my way over to the kitchen entrance. i stand on a kitchen stool and start attaching the tinsel to the ceiling.

as i'm about half way through, the front door swings open.

"what is this, a one direction concert?" asher chuckles, closing the door behind him.

"sure" i respond mindlessly, focusing on not falling.

asher's footsteps approach and i can feel his presence behind me. "would you like some help?" he asks, lightly wrapping his fingers around my ankles.

"i'm fine" i mumble, taping the tinsel.