california

"you sure you're cool with taking care of the house yourself?" i ask asher as he gets my luggage out of his car for me. "you can't forget to lock the front door like you always do, turn the tv off before bed, and don't leave-"

"i got it, chica" he laughs, closing the trunk. "and before you ask, yes, my dad is still fine with driving his truck down with me to get my bike there."

i hate that he can read my mind when i'm on edge. he does it all the time.

jack, juliet, and i say our goodbyes to asher before he drives away and we walk into the airport.

***

a/n: time skip bc airports are boring af🙄

as the three of us board the plane, we remember we never decided who's sitting alone.

in first class, there's two seats per row, rather than three, like the rest of the plane.

i'm not sitting alone, and juliet certainly isn't sitting alone, so that means-

"you can take the window seat if you want" jack says to me as i watch juliet sit down next to a passenger.

huh?

my eyebrows knit as i look between them, then whisper to jack.

"why is jules sitting alone?"

jack shoves me into the row of seats and takes the outer one. "i'm scared of flying, so she insisted i sit with you since she's been on a million plane rides before and completely doesn't mind."

that's true. this must be like nothing more than a long car ride to her.

i lower myself into my seat and open the blinds to my window.

but jack leans over me and shuts it.

"you're that scared?" i tease. not that there's a problem with it, but as his sister it's my duty to make fun of him every chance i get.

jack mumbles something to himself and reaches into his bag for a neck pillow that he bought at one of the shops in the airport and plugs in his ear buds.

he also didn't sleep last night so he would be tired enough to sleep through the plane ride.

i pull out the tray connected to the wall beside me and pull netflix up on my phone.

obviously i wasn't flying without downloading a show beforehand.

i set my phone up on the tray and sit back, ready to binge my little pony.

god, i miss pip.

apparently i got way too into the show, because before i knew it, the plane had landed.

juliet sits up and kneels on her seat, turning around to talk to jack and i.

"you did it!" she cheers, looking at jack who seems quite grumpy. "how was your very first flight in first class?"

"i still hated every second of it" jack says, standing up with his bag.

juliet folds her lips in and shrugs, following jack and i off the plane.