family drama

"hello, dear" mrs. carter greets in her british accent. "were your flights okay?"

she's seems nice... but i still get a weird vibe from her.

"both were fine, mother" juliet responds blandly. "this is jack and aria. my boyfr-"

"boyfriend and his sister! i know who you both are" juliet's mom says calmly. "it's so nice to finally meet you, jack."

wow fuck you too then i guess.

it's always a pleasure to meet me. we have beef already and it's been less than 30 seconds.

but she's so fine-

"lovely to meet you too, mrs. carter" jack says, grinning ear to ear.

he definitely got that word from jules. 'lovely.' she says it all the time.

mrs. carter laughs lavishly.

jesus christ even her laugh screams rich person.

"you can just call me eleanor, dear."

of course her name is eleanor.

juliet's face twists as she adjusts herself on the stool. "i thought you usually like younger people calling you mrs. carter though?"

"he's family now, isn't he?" she smiles again, looking directly at jack, then at me. "same with you, miss aria."

a mix of both names. i like it. not just aria, and not including my last name.

gold star.

"i appreciate it, eleanor" i thank, mindlessly swinging my legs from the stool.

she glances down to my feet for a split second and smiles, then walks over to jack and mr. carter.

don't hold this against me, but i think that smile looked forced as fuck.

"the salad looks delicious so far!" eleanor praises, inspecting the salad.

i just know jack is wagging his tail and giggling in his head from that.

"anyways," she continues, "i'm going to get changed. would you mind calling me down when dinner is ready, love?"

mr. carter nods, looking up from the steak. "of course, honey."

i watch eleanor make her way to the stairs and eventually disappear.

***

"first time having dinner with her parents, how do you feel?" i ask jack as we enter my room together.

juliet is taking a quick shower, so jack and i are just chilling here until she's done. it's sibling gossip time now.

"i'm feeling okay about it... do you think it went well?"

i hum happily and nod. "you did great. was i okay?"

next, he hums, but not happily. "at the end of your meal you were sipping with your straw to get like every last drop of water, and all you were doing was making that obnoxious bubbly sound."

i scoff. "is that a tip to help me behave better? or are you actually turning into them already?"

jack lightly yanks on my pony tail as i'm trying to wipe my makeup off, which makes me swear under my breath. "you're the one that asked for my opinion. and no, i'm not turning into them. i just don't want her parents to dislike you, that's all."