Best Friend

Jordan sat up and erupted into a coughing fit. She ran her hand over her neck and proceeded to wince in pain. Will moved her hand and then turned to me, shock written all over his face.

"What the hell happened?" Asked Will.

"I-it was m-my fault." Jordan croaked.

"Jay, what happened?"

"Hank and her got into an argument."

"Hank did this!?"

"Will she be okay?"

"She'll be fine. Your neck may be sore for a few days but hopefully it shouldn't bruise."

"You need to leave." Said Kevin as he walked down the steps.

"What do you mean, I need to leave?"

"They're coming down to gear up to catch a drug dealer. Hank is already mad, I don't want you getting in trouble." Explained Kevin.

"I'm aware he's mad, look at her neck."

"Is it bruised?"

"No it won't bruise but the marks may be there for a day or two."

"K." Said Jordan, finally acknowledging what was going on around her.

"You okay?" Asked Kevin as Will left.

"Stop feeling sorry for me. It's my fault."

The rest of the unit came downstairs. I looked towards Hank, his face seemed sad, almost resentful.

"We'll be back soon." Smiled Adam.

Jordan was now sat up but she stayed on the cold floor. Her back was against one side of the cage and her legs were stretched out in front of her.

We arrived at a deal that was taking place at the docks. We approached from behind the dealer and the buyer. As they both turned around to run, they realised they were trapped and there was no escape. They raised their hands above their head to surrender and we took them back to the station for questioning.

Adam and Kim were interrogating the suspects as Kevin and I were typing up the gangs and their members.

"You should talk to her." Said Antonio towards Hank.

"Yeah I will." Replied Hank as he put his gun in the safe and walked towards the garage doors.

*Hank's Pov*

I walked over to the cage to see Jordan with her back on the ground and her arms acting as a head rest as she looked up at the ceiling.

"Hey, I'm sorry." I said as I sat down outside the cage.

I was sorry. I shouldn't have acted in that way and I certainly shouldn't have put my hands on her. However, she shouldn't have said what she did but what I did was worse.

"Please talk to me."

She continued to ignore me so I tried a different approach.

"We're ordering pizza, what's your favourite topping?"

"Go fuck yourself."

"I really am sorry."

I retreated back up stairs and left Jordan by herself. We ordered medium pizzas for everyone and Jay got Jordan a hawaiian one because he knew what she liked.

Before the food had arrived, Severide walked into the precinct. He stormed up the stairs and demanded to talk to me.

"Don't you ever touch her again or mark my words, I will kill you!" Shouted Severide.

"I've tried apologising but she won't talk to me."

"You brought her sister into it so she brought your son and Al into it. I know that doesn't give her the right to but you started it."

"I know I did but she blamed me for Al's death. That's not fair, that's not on me."

"Al was like a father to her. He helped her let out all her anger on boxing bags instead of bullies."

"They knew each other?"

"Yeah. After an incident in school, Al was the cop that showed up to investigate. He knew it wasn't Jordan's fault and so he did everything to make sure she wasn't given the blame."

"What happened?"

"That's not for me to tell you. But she did get kicked out of her school and Al helped her and her mom to find a new one. Then whenever she was angry or had a bad day, he would take her to the gym and she just let go for a few hours."

"Thanks for telling me Kelly. I'll see you around."

"You better hope I don't see you on a bad day because I will hurt you if you ever hurt Jordan again."

"I'm well aware, thank you Kelly."

Kelly left shortly after and I went downstairs to the garage to give Jordan her pizza and to let her out. I heard her talking to herself so I stopped to listen.

"How did I end up in here, mom? I messed up. I blamed a man for Al's death when I know it wasn't his fault. He's paid for Zoe's uni funds and for my new arm and I thank him like this. I'm a screw up at the moment. I fear that I won't be able to protect Zoe, even though I try so hard." Jordan said as she sobbed with her head in her hands.

"You'll always have us to protect you and your sister." I said as I walked to join her.

"I'm so sorry Hank. I never should have said those things."

I unlocked the cage but she didn't move. I sat in the cage next to her as I placed down our pizzas.

"You don't have to sit here with me." Said Jordan.

"No, I want to. But why don't you want to sit somewhere else?"

"It's peaceful down here. It gives you time to just think."

"Kelly told me a few things about you.

"Oh god, what did he say?" Jordan laughed.

"Nothing too bad. He just told me why you want to protect your sister from bullies."

"He told you the whole story?"

"Well, no, not exactly. He told me about the gym that you and Al went to and about how you got kicked out of school. He didn't tell me the reason though."

"It's a long one."

"Well I've got all night since the suspects we caught won't tell us anything."

"You sure you want to deep dive into my teenage years?"

"Yeah I do."

"Just a warning, I used to be quite angry when a got to my breaking point."

"That's fine. I'm ready to listen."