CHAPTER 47

Ch.47 – Does Love at First Sight Exist in Esports?

Yao Sen immediately shot up, his eyes boring holes on Shao Han. It was like a string in his head had been stretched taut. A barrage of thoughts poured into his mind: “I’m gonna meet Shao Han’s dad”, “will his dad like me?”, “fuck I’m so nervous”, “can you give me some time to get ready”, “No, Yao Sen, you’re Asia’s champion, you can’t be scared” and so on, turning his expression gravely blank for several seconds.

After what felt like ages, he nervously squeezed out, “…You’re serious?”

Shao Han rarely saw the ever capable and confident Yao Sen showing such a bewildered and anxious appearance. He couldn’t stop the corners of his mouth from rising. “Yeah, my dad just wants to chat with you. He’s actually a pretty friendly person.”

After they got together, Shao Han had told Yao Sen that he’d already come out to his family when he was in high school. He had a great family. His parents were open-minded, and the understanding of his family made it so that he didn’t have to go through the struggles and ordeals he would’ve experienced otherwise.

Shao Han had also informed his parents that he had a boyfriend over the New Year’s holiday. Because his parents had been willing to respect his wishes, he didn’t want Yao Sen to feel any pressure.

Yao Sen felt it necessary to know his father-in-law so he could make proper preparations in advance. “What does Uncle Shao do for a living?”

“He’s a law professor.”

“……”

Yao Sen could feel the pressure on him increase exponentially. His awe of the teaching profession he’d held since he was little slowly molded an image of a strict teacher in his mind—in any case, there was no way the word ‘friendly’ could be applied to such a person.

Yao Sen: “Does he have any requirements for your boyfriend? Do I have to understand the law? Is there still time for me to study?”

Shao Han gave Yao Sen a helpless look. “We’re only having a meal together.”

“I’m worried that my father-in-law won’t like me,” Yao Sen said powerlessly.

*the chinese word yao sen used for father-in-law also means ‘wife’s father’

Upon hearing the word ‘father-in-law’ coming out of Yao Sen’s mouth, Shao Han blanked out for a moment before he slightly pursed his lips, his ears flushing. “I’ve already shown a picture of you to my parents, and I’ve also told them things about us… They’re quite fond of you.”

Yao Sen raised an eyebrow, suddenly intrigued. Smiling, he said, “What did you tell them?”

In truth, the one who’d started talking about him at the time had been Xiao Meng. After Shao Han confessed, Xiao Meng couldn’t no longer hold back from gushing over Yao Sen, a torrent of extravagant praises falling from her mouth. She even talked about Yao Sen’s favourite foods, as if the one Yao Sen was dating was her. Shao Han had somehow even felt a little jealous as he listened.

His parents were also interested, and one by one, they started asking the ins and outs of Shao Han’s relationship. Shao Han, who had always been thin-skinned, was really embarrassed to talk about these things in front of his parents, and he could only answer that Yao Sen was indeed a really good boyfriend with a red face.