Chapter 3

Aya's POV
I sat on the couch with a glass of red wine in hand, enjoying the peace and quiet. I had the apartment to myself since Joy was still at work and Adrianna was currently on a date with some guy she met at a bar.

Stretching my legs out on the couch, I got comfortable and turned on the TV. I had a long day at work and was really looking forward to some alone time.

I jumped up, spilling my wine all over my shirt as Adrianna burst through the door of our apartment.

So much for that alone time.

She slammed the door shut, groaning obnoxiously loud as she dragged her feet behind her.

"How was your date?" She shot me an icy look. "Was it really that bad?"

She poured herself a glass of wine, filling her glass all the way to the top before joining me on the couch.

"It was the absolute worst date I have ever been on in my life."

Adrianna was known for being dramatic. And I thought this was another one of those moments until she started giving me more details.

"Not only was he rude to the waiter, but he wouldn't stop biting his nails and spitting it onto the floor."

"Ew."

"That's not even the worse part." She pauses, downing almost half her glass before continuing. "In the middle of the date, his husband confronts him for cheating and they leave. And I'm just sitting there looking stupid and having to pay a bill that cost damn near my entire paycheck."

"You didn't know he was gay?"

"No," she sobs, burying her face in her hands. "I had no idea."

Going back into the kitchen, I grabbed the bottle of wine and sat back down on the couch. "Looks like you're going to need this more than me."

Looking up, she took the bottle and poured herself another glass. "How was your day? Surely it was better than mine."

"It was alright. Really exhausting."

"Didn't you meet your new client today?"

"I did. He's very detached, which I expected. But I'm hoping that with time, he'll eventually warm up to me."

Finishing off the rest of my wine, I set it down on the coffee table and stood up. Stripping out of my wine covered shirt, I left to go throw it in the dirty clothes hamper and take a quick shower.

When I was satisfied, I dried myself off and rummaged through my drawer for pajamas. Pulling out an oversized tee shirt, which I'm pretty sure belonged to my ex, I slipped it on and walked back out just in time for Joy to walk in.

"You won't believe the day I had," she said with a heavy sigh, snatching the bottle of wine out of Adrianna's hand and tossing back the last bit that remained.

"Was it worse than Adrianna's date?" I asked, wondering what could be worst than what Adrianna went through.

"Someone tried to rob the bank today."

"What?" Adrianna and I both exclaimed simultaneously.

"Don't worry, I'm alright. The robber didn't make it very far thanks to our security guard."

Adrianna and I shared a worried look with one another. Joy just seemed so unfazed by the situation, which I know stems from the fact that this isn't the first time someone's attempted to rob her place of work. In fact, this is the third time this year. So she's probably used to it by now.

"Maybe you should consider working somewhere else," Adrianna suggested.

"No way. The pay is too good."

I figured she'd say that. She'd do anything for money. And when I mean anything, I mean quite literally anything.

Last year we went to a concert. It was some contemporary rock band that we have never heard of. We only went because Joy thought the lead singer was really hot.

Anyway, Adrianna dared her to flash her boobs at him for fifty bucks and that's what she did. She ended up not only gaining fifty bucks, but a personal invitation back stage.

After they exchanged numbers, the two of them started hooking up. It was an on and off thing, which didn't last very long as the band had to go on tour. We haven't seen the guy since, not that Joy even cares. She's not into the whole commitment thing.

As for Adrianna, all she wants is to be in a committed relationship. But her taste in men is horrible. Not one single guy she's ever hooked up with or dated was remotely boyfriend/husband material.

Joy and I have offered to set her up ourselves, but she's determined to find "the one" all on her own.

"Since you two had such a shitty day, I think this calls for more wine, some ice cream, and a movie marathon."

"On it!" Joy shot up to go and grab more wine and some ice cream from within the freezer, while I searched for a movie for us to watch.

It took us awhile, but eventually we settled on a few movies to watch. Bundled up on the couch with a blanket on our lap, a glass of wine in one hand, and ice cream in the other, we ended up staying up until almost three in the morning.

Normally I'd go to bed around ten, but Sundays are my day off. Which means I can stay up as long as I want to and sleep in as late as I want to.

That night, when I was back in the comfort of my bed, my mind began to wander to Declan. He tries so hard to hide it, but I can see that shy, scared little boy clear as day.

I don't know why he took his mother's life, but I know it can't be easy living everyday with the blood of your mother on your hands.

He said he still has nightmares. I wonder if he's up right now? That can't be good for him.

The medication doctor Riley prescribed should help him with his anxiety and insomnia. If not, I will have to up his dosage.

Turning in my bed, I stared out the window, admiring the moon illuminating the starry night sky.

My phone vibrated on my nightstand, alerting me of a text message. Grabbing my phone, I pulled up the message Joy sent me.

Joy: You're thinking about your clients, aren't you?

Me: Just one.

Joy: Your new one?

She knows me so well.

Sometimes I stay up late at night worrying about my clients. I'm expected to separate my work life from my home life, which isn't an easy task.

At times, it can be mentally draining. The things my clients say are just so heartbreaking. How do you continue on with your life knowing someone has experienced what they experienced?

I grew up in the foster care system, never having met the parents who didn't want me. I used to think I had it bad until I became a Therapist.

All it took was for one client to tell me their story for me to realize how much I take life for granted.

My parents may not be in my life, but I do have a family. Joy and Adrianna are my family. And even my foster parents, who I still keep in touch with.

Joy: What is it about this client that has you up thinking so late in the night?

Me: I don't know. There's just something about him. I feel so drawn to him and I don't know why.

Joy: You've always been drawn to people who you think need "saving". It's why you decided to become a Therapist in the first place. So you can help people.

Me: So you're saying I have a savior complex?

Joy: Yup. Goodnight.

A savior complex? Really?

I mean it does it explain a lot. I've always been attracted to broken people.  Which is probably why my dating is currently non-existent.

Maybe if I just get laid I'll forget all about my incessant need to try and "save" him. Maybe I'll finally be able to separate my work life from my home life.

Maybe.