Chapter 9

My friends both stared at me in shock, their mouths gaped open as they could not believe I turned down Declan Isaacs.

"Are you okay?" Adrianna asked. "Like really okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Because you have lost your damn mind!" Joy shouted. She abruptly stood to her feet and started pacing the living room floor. "I mean you have to be a turn down a fine ass man like that."

Adrianna nods her head in agreement.

"It's not like I wanted to, but he's my client," I tell them for what seems like the millionth time. "I could lose my job."

Joy plops back down on the couch with a huff before looking over at me. "Why did you have to become a licensed therapist in California?"

"Because I live here," I remark.

She simply glares at me, more upset about my not being able to pursue a relationship with Declan than I am. I mean of course I'm a little disappointed about it, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Besides, as his therapist my sole person is to help him. And if we were to get in in any sort of relationship, especially a sexual one it would just complicate things.

"You've been single for a while now, Aya. Don't you think it's time to get back out there?" Adrianna asked.

"Of course I do. But it can't be with Declan."

Even if my heart beats a mile a minute everytime he's around.

"Okay, so let's go out tonight," Joy says, sitting up straighter. "There are plenty of single men you can spread your legs for who isn't one of your clients."

"Yeah, that sounds like a great idea," Adrianna chimed in excitedly. Her thick dark brows knitted together as she stared at me and pointed. "I know what you're thinking and the answer is no. You're coming with us. End of discussion."

"Come on, guys. You know I have to work tomorrow."

"So do we," Joy countered, jumping up to grab my hands and pull me up onto my feet.

I groaned, dragging my feet as she pulled me down the hall and into my room. Letting go of me, she started rummaging through my closet. Adrianna and I sat down on my bed while Joy started tossing clothes out of my closet.

"What are you doing?" I asked, watching my clothes fly out of my closet and land all over my floor.

"Trying to find you an outfit for to- bingo!" Clothes stop flying and out comes Joy with a dress in her hand. "Where the hell have you been hiding this?"

I stare at the black leather dress, having forgotten all about it. I didn't even know I still had it. "I haven't worn that dress since college. There's no possible way I'll still be able to fit in that." It was tight then and I'm sure it will be even tighter now.

Joy tosses me the dress, urging me to put it on before disappearing out of the room and returning with a pair of black leather thigh high heel boots. "Your going to need these too," she says, setting the boots down.

Rolling my eyes, I took off the pajamas I changed into after I got home and took a shower. Folding them up and setting aside on my dresser, I struggle to fit my wide hips into the dress.

Jumping up and down in an attempt to shove my body into the dress, I let out a heavy exhale when I finally managed to get the leathered dress on.

Surprisingly enough, the dress is a perfect fit. Bending down, I slip each boot onto my foot before zipping them up and straightening back up.