Chapter 30

Aya's POV
I woke up to an empty bed the following morning. I don't know why Declan lashed out at me. I was just trying to help him. Which is what I've been doing since he became my client.

But I'm not doing it because I'm his Therapist and that's my job. No. I'm doing it because I want to. And because I love and care about him.

"Have you guys seen Declan?" I asked my friends when I didn't see him during breakfast. "He isn't answering any of my text or calls."

Declan always answers. Which means he's either really pissed off or something's wrong. I rather it be the former than the latter, because then that means he's not out mixing his medicine with alcohol or getting into a fight with someone.

We don't need a repeat of last time.

"He's still not talking to you?" Joy asked, flipping through channels on the TV remote.

"No. And I'm starting to get worried."

Paxton strolled out of his room and into the living room where me, Joy and Adrianna were. Joining us on the couch, he sat beside his girlfriend and kissed her on the cheek.

Adrianna's cheeks pinkened in color. For someone who can casually talk about sex anywhere at any time like she's discussing the weather, she sure gets flustered easily whenever Paxton kisses her.

It's adorable. I'm happy she found love. I'm happy for the both of my friends. Things were real sucky for us in the love department until recently.

I turned to Paxton. "Have you been able to get a hold of Declan?"

Paxton shook his head. "No." My brows knitted together, worry written across my face. "But you don't need to worry. Declan's fine."

"How do you know that?" I asked him, frustration evident in my tone.

"I know my cousin, Aya."

"So he's just purposely ignoring me then?"

Paxton's brows furrowed, confusion marking his features. "That doesn't sound like Declan at all." He pulled out his phone. "I'm going to call my uncle."

An unwelcome feeling took root in the pit of my stomach as we listened to the phone ring.

Mrs. Isaacs' frantic voice boomed through the speaker. "Where's Declan? Please tell me he's with you, Pax."

"No, he's not," Paxton answered.

"Fuck!" Mr. Isaacs shouted, showcasing feelings of anger and fear. "I can't get a hold of him."

"What's going on, Mr. Isaacs?" I questioned, shifting to the edge of the beige colored armchair.

"Matthew Briggs escaped prison last night. Police are looking for him as we speak."

"Shit," Paxton replied, sitting up in his seat. "We need to find Declan. Now."

When Paxton ended the call with his uncle, I was expecting him to fill us in on the details of who Matthew Briggs is and why the search for Declan has suddenly become so urgent. But he doesn't.

Instead, he's shoving on a pair of shoes and rushing out of the door. "Aya, come with me. The rest of you stay here just in case Declan comes back."

Scrambling into the passenger's seat, I hurriedly put on my seat belt.

"Call Declan. And don't stop until you hear his voice."

The serious expression on Paxton's face frightens me, that feeling in the pit of my stomach intensifying with every passing minute Declan's not beside me.