Chapter 6

Aya's POV
"Have a great day," I told one of my clients as they left the room.

Closing the file I had containing information on them, I slipped it back into the drawer filled with files on my other clients.

Sifting through the files, I pulled out Declan's file when I found his last name and closed the drawer.

When I heard a knock, I gave them the okay to come in. The door opened and in walked Declan in his usual tee shirt and jeans.

He took a seat, watching me closely and silently as I walked out from behind my desk and sat down in the chair stationed across from his own.

Clicking my pen, I slung my right leg over the other and waited for Declan to initiate conversation.

During our last session, I did most of the talking. So this time I'm going to try a different approach.

Declan just stared at me, expectantly waiting for me to ask him a question. I kept my mouth shut, hoping he'd finally say something so we aren't just awkwardly staring at each other.

I breathed a soft sigh of relief when he finally spoke. "Are you just going to keep staring at me? Or are you going to work your therapist magic?"

It wasn't what I had in mind, but at least it was something. "I'm just here to listen Declan. So whatever you want to talk about I'm all ears."

His lips curled up into a smile, and I couldn't stop myself from rolling my eyes in response. "We are not talking about last night, so don't even think about it."

"You just said I could talk about whatever I wanted."

"I did. But don't you want to talk about your mother?"

"What does my mother have to do with any of this? She's doing fine."

"I'm talking about your biological mother Natalie."

He bared his teeth, clenching his jaw and fists. An animalistic growl erupted from the base of his throat, anger flashing in his green eyes.

"I don't give a fuck about that bitch!"

I wrote down what he said, noticing the way his attitude had changed drastically at the mention of his birth mother.

"Since you're taking notes, write down that I hate her and I'm glad she's dead!"

I recorded his words into my notepad before looking back up at him. "Can you tell me why you feel this way towards your biological mother?"

He jolted to his feet, walking swiftly towards the exit. "This session is over."

"Wait! Dec-"

He swung the door open, slamming it on his way out and causing me to flinch in my seat.

We had barely just begun, and I was hoping to get more information out of him. But his reaction alone told me exactly where the source of his pain and anger was.

And compared to our last session where he barely showed any emotion, this was a step towards giving him the help he needs.

I sighed. Though if he keeps storming out of here everytime I hit a nerve, we won't get anywhere. I wish doctor Riley were still here, so he could advise me on how to approach someone like Declan.

After meeting with a few more of my clients, I decided to ask doctor Newman for some advice.

I knocked on her office door, waiting for a response as to whether or not I could enter. When she told me to come in, I walked in, Declan's file clutched closely to my chest.

"Hey Aya." She smiled, the faint wrinkles on her face more defined. "What do you need?"

"I could use your opinion on something, or rather someone."

She motioned for me to take a seat. "What can I help you with?"

"I have this client, who I'm just not sure how to get through to. He's one of doctor Riley's clients."

"Ah," she took the file from my hands, her dark brown eyes skimming over the information before her. "Wow. He's been through a lot."

"Do you have any idea how I can get him to open up to me without storming out on me everytime he gets upset?"

"This one requires a lot of trust, and especially patience. You're just going to have to give him time." She handed me back the file, adjusting the glasses sitting on the bridge of her nose. "And maybe don't mention his mother until he's ready."

"Okay, thank you."

Feeling a little better about the situation, I went back down the hall and slipped back into my office.

Putting the file away in its respective place, I grabbed my purse and phone and left for the day.

When I got back to my place, I poured myself a glass of wine, drew a warm bath, and lit up some candles.

The relaxing ambiance was almost complete. I just needed to rose petals and a man to enjoy it with.

Sighing in content as I sunk down into the bubble bath, I turned on some classical music and closed my eyes. Reveling in such a relaxing moment, I occasionally took a sip of my wine.

I'm not going to be taking doctor Newman's advice lightly. She's a respected therapist with many degrees, so I know she was the perfect person to ask.

I'll be seeing Declan everyday this week, so I'm hoping that will all the time spent together, he'll finally be able to open up to me.

My eyes fluttered open when my music stopped playing and my phone started ringing. Picking it up off the floor beside me, I stared at the unknown caller's number.

"Hello?" I answered, putting the phone on speaker.

"Hey, it's me," a low, familiar voice spoke.

"Declan? How did you get my number?"

"Your website."

"Oh, okay. Well, um are you okay?"

I sat up in the tub, wondering why he was calling me so late in the night. I usually don't work so late, but I had to see a lot of clients today and I'm exhausted.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I just wanted to let you know that I'm sorry for walking out the way I did today. Its just that.... it's just that Natalie is a very sore subject for me. And I know that's why I'm in therapy, but I'm just not ready to talk about her just yet with you."

"It's okay, Declan. I understand."

"Can you uh stay on the line with me please? I can't sleep. You don't have to say anything. Just knowing you're there and I'm not alone is enough."

"Sure."