Chapter 17

I played with the straw paper in my hands, both Joy and Adrianna smiling and blushing like two middle schoolers after I told them about Declan's visit to our apartment yesterday.

"Well how was it?" Joy asked, taking a sip of her sprite.

I just gave them a look and they began to giggle even harder. I wasn't going to sit here and lie or over exaggerate. I'm not that kind of person. But Declan has quite the skill.

It almost makes me jealous, because I know that he had to have practiced on a myriad of women in order to become that talented.

"What did you do afterwards?" Adrianna asked, dipping a French fry into her ranch before popping it into her mouth.

"I simply returned the favor and then we watched a movie."

"Really?" Joy said in surprise. "I thought for sure you guys would have gone all the way."

"We would have, but Declan wants to make sure our first time is special." Leaning in to take a sip of my iced tea, I reached across the table to steal a fry off Adrianna's plate.

"Aww, that's so cute," Adrianna commented with a smile. "Why can't I find a man like that? Oh please tell me he has some single brothers. And if not, I'm willing to date his uncle, grandpa, or even his sister."

Joy shook her head with a laugh. "Seriously, Adrianna?"

She responded with a nod of her head, a serious expression etched into her features. "And if his daddy was single I wouldn't hesitate to take a ride on that fine ass man as well."

"Unfortunately, his siblings are too young and his uncle and grandpa are both happily married." Adrianna frowned. "But he did tell me he has a single cousin."

She perked up, her eyes sparkling under the restaurant's lamp light. "What's he like?"

"I don't know. I've never met him or any of his family."

A light bulb seemed to go off in Adrianna's head, her brown eyes as big as saucers and a wide smile spread across her face. "We could have a triple date! You and Declan. Joy and Eli. And me and Declan's cousin."

"Eli wouldn't mind," Joy chimed in, shrugging and nodding her head.

"I don't think Declan would mind either. But I'll call to make sure." Excusing myself from the table, I stepped outside and made the call.

I just saw Declan a couple of hours ago for our session. He's improved so much since the first time we met. He even looks happier.

Now I don't know if that has to do with our relationship or if therapy has really been helping him. Either way, he's finally starting to learn how to better cope with his past trauma.

"Hey darling."

The butterflies in my stomach awoke at the sound of Declan's husky voice, the corners of my mouth curling up into a smile.

"Hey. What are you doing right now?"

"Hayden had a lacrosse game tonight, which just ended. He and his teammates left to go celebrate. So I was just going to head back to my place." His voice dropped an octave, seduction laced in his tone. "Why? You trying to come over?"

"No, but I was wondering if you wanted to go on a triple date with me and my friends?"

"Sure. I know the perfect place."

"Oh and there's one more thing. Can you bring Paxton? I think him and my friend Adrianna would hit it off."

"Yeah. That's a good idea."

Saying our goodbyes, I ended the call and returned to the table. Adrianna and Joy had just finished paying and tipping the waiter when I sat down.

"So, what did he say?" Adrianna inquired with a hopeful smile, excitement flashing in her eyes.

"It's a date."

****

"An aquarium?" I questioned, surprised that this was the place he chose to have our triple date. But then again, he's always loved the ocean and the sea creatures that inhabit it.

"Yeah, you don't like it?"

"No, I love it. My foster parents took me here a lot when I was a kid."

"Foster parents?" He questioned, his thicks brows knitting together.

All that talking we did on our date and I never once mentioned anything about my biological parents or my foster parents.

It's not that I didn't want to. I just prefer to keep that part of my life in the back burner. I only mention it if necessary, or if the topic of my parents is brought up.

"Yeah, I grew up in the foster system."

Declan was about to say something when Adrianna and Paxton pushed past us to head into the building. "Come on guys!" Adrianna ushered with a wave of her hand.

Joy and Eli, who she's not officially dating but definitely fucking, followed after the two of them.

"We can talk about this another time," I told Declan, taking his hand in mine and smiling before joining everyone else inside.

Walking through the tunnel surrounded by an aquarium filled with all kinds of life, I pointed to the sting ray that swam above our heads.

"Aww, it looks like it's smiling."

Declan looked up, smiling as the sting ray swam to the other side of the aquarium before disappearing out of view.

"Oh wow!" I exclaimed, tugging Declan over to the glass so I could get a closer look at the sea turtle that just swam by. "It's so pretty."

"I'm glad you like this place. It's my favorite place in the world." I looked over at Declan, watching the way his eyes lit up as he admired all the sea animals swimming by.

He looked over at me. "When I was struggling with mutism, I always felt like I could nonverbally communicate with the animals. Aside from my dad and mom, they were the only ones who I felt like didn't judge or look at me with pity because I couldn't speak."

I could relate to him in a way. Whenever my foster parents brought me here it was the only time where I didn't feel so unwanted, or strange because I wasnt raised by my blood.

I tried to get in contact with my parents once, but they never got back to me. No matter how many letters, emails, and calls I made- they never responded. I cried for days because I just didn't understand what I did wrong?

But I realized later on in life that it was never my fault. And that my biological parents weren't fit to raise me. They were drug addicts who could have endangered my life if child protective services hadn't taken me away from them.

I'm grateful to have been raised by such loving and caring foster parents. It's because of them that I am the woman I am today.

Which is why I wear their last name like a badge of honor. Because despite what my birth certificate says, I am their daughter. And I am proud of it.

Kissing Declan's cheek, I laid my head on his shoulder and sighed. "I will never judge you, Declan."

"I know," he replied, kissing my forehead. "That's what I love about you. You see me. The real me."

We both turned our heads, hearing the sound of giggling a few feet from us. Adrianna and Paxton were snuggled close, seeming to enjoy each other's company as they talked and laughed with one another.

"How did you know setting the two of them up would be such a success?" Declan asked.

"I didn't," I answered honestly.

"Well you might need to consider changing professions, because you have some serious matchmaking skills."

"And miss out on being your therapist? I wouldn't dare."

"Come on," he said with a sexy laugh, pulling me away from the glass. "We might have to cut this date short and get those two a room before they start ripping each other's clothes off. And then I won't be the only one needing therapy."