Chapter 25

I'm still staring at him, my eyes wide and my lips parted in surprise. And for a moment, as I look into his green eyes, I forget where I am.

It's just me and him. Fully turning around, I kiss him slowly, savoring the taste of his mouth.

I retreat when I hear the awes of his family members. Returning back to reality, I quickly pulled away from him and got out of the pool.

I twist my upper body to look at Declan in confusion. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I'll be out in a second," he whispers, his hands covering his crotch.

Finding humor in the situation, I give my head a shake and walk over to get myself a burger.

Starved, my stomach grumbles. Grabbing a hamburger and adding the usual cheese, lettuce, tomato, and onion, I sit down at an open seat.

Mrs. Isaacs joins me at the table, her own burger in hand. Feeling the heated gaze of her eyes on me, I look up from my burger to see a smile on her face. 

She notices my discomfort and apologizes. "I'm sorry if I'm being creepy. It's just... you're the first person my son's ever brought home."

Swallowing the food in my mouth, I can't help but arch a brow in surprise. "Really?"

"Yeah," she murmurs. "People weren't exactly too eager to become his friend." I catch a glimpse of sadness in her eyes before it disappears, the smile she had seconds ago returning.

"I know being as you are his therapist- the relationship isn't exactly ideal." She looks over at Declan as he does his best to dry himself off with the towel Hayden gave him. "But you make him really happy, which is something I haven't seen from him in quite a while."

Staring at Declan, he catches me staring and flashes me with a boyish grin. Smiling back, I avert my gaze and focus my attention back on his mother. Water from my hair drips onto my burger and I lose my appetite.

"You know, my baby boy has a fragile heart like his father." I get ready to open my mouth and tell her that I would never break Declan's heart like his biological mother did, but she smiles and takes the words right out of my mouth. "I know you won't break his heart."

"He's in good hands, mrs. Isaacs."

"Oh, I know. He practically confessed his love for you at dinner the other night."

"He did?" I find myself glancing at Declan once more. My insides feel warm and fuzzy, a permanent smile on my face.

She nods, voicing the thought in her head. "He's just like his daddy."

Talking some more, she begins to tell me more about Declan's childhood. Despite the trauma he's faced, he had a pretty decent childhood. I can tell that his parents did all they could to make sure he had somewhat of a normal life.

By the time we are finished talking -most of it filled with laughter from all the stories she's told me about Declan when he was growing up- he and I say our goodbyes to his family and head back to my place.

The place is ours for the time being,  Joy and Adrianna having left to go see some new horror movie playing in theaters.

"Your family is amazing," I say, watching Declan remove his damp clothes and shove them into a plastic bag. 

"They are," he replies with a smile. Leaving the bag by my door, I offer to wash and dry his clothes for him. Thanking me, he sighs and walks up to me. Pressing his lips to my forehead, he lingers for a moment before eventually pulling away. "Do you mind if I use your shower?"

I shake my head. "No, not at all. But only if you let me join you."

A smile stretches onto his face, his fingers interlacing with mine. "Lead the way, angel."