Chapter 29

Declan's POV
I'm trembling, my father's heavy gun in my tiny hands. As I aim it at Natalie, I glance over at my parents. Mommy's hurt and daddy's scared.

So when I put my hand on the trigger like I've seen daddy do once before, the only thing that runs through my mind is that Natalie is the bad guy and I have to protect mommy and daddy.

"Declan, don't!" My father shouts, trying to reach me. But it's too late. The trigger is pulled.

When Natlie hits the floor, her crimson red blood staining the carpet of our living room, I make the mistake of staring into her eyes.

Blue eyes that were filled with life just seconds ago stare back at me. Her eyes don't look so blue anymore.

I feel as though I've just witnessed her soul leave her body, the color from her face beginning to pale. She looks ghostly.

She looks... dead.

Feeling something warm in my hands, I look down to see that there's blood on my hands. My mother's blood.

And when I look back up, my dead mother is crawling towards me. There's blood everywhere. It's on her face, in her long blonde hair, and all over her clothes from where the bullet had penetrated her body.

"You did this to me, Decky!" She cries, tears streaming down her starch white face. "You killed mommy! You're a murderer!"

I shake my head. "I... I'm sorry," I croak, trying desperately to wipe the blood off my hands.

"Why, Decky? Why? Mommy loved you and you killed her!"

I call out to daddy but he can't hear me. No one can.

"Declan!"

My eyes snap open at the sound of Aya's voice. My chest hurts and I can't breathe. I clutch my chest, gasping for air as I begin to feel my throat close.

Grabbing my face, she turns my head so that I'm looking at her. I can see the worry in her hazel eyes.

"I ca... I can't breathe," I force out.

"You're having a panic attack," she says calmly, trying to hide the fact that she's scared.

I'm shaking and I can feel the sound of my pulsing heart beat loudly in my ears. My vision keeps going in and out, Aya's beautiful face beginning to blur.

"Declan, I need you to listen to the sound of my voice." I nod my head. Or least I think I did. I'm not sure. "Take a deep breathe. We'll do it together, okay."

Drawing in a deep breath, she taps my shoulder with her index finger five times before ushering me to exhale. She repeats the process a couple more times, never breaking eye contact once as she guides me through the breathing exercise.

"There you go, baby. Good job."

My breathing returns to normal, my heart rate beginning to slow. I'm not shaking anymore, Aya's face more clear as I stare into her eyes.

Fuck, she's so damn beautiful. I could stare at her forever.

Her pink lips curl up into a smile, the sparkle in her eyes proof of just how proud of me she is.

"Do you feel better now?" I actually feel myself nod this time. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No, not right now."

Pulling away from her, the smile on her face falters. She's watching me closely, sporting the same face she wears whenever we're in one of our therapy sessions.

Slipping out from under the covers, I bend down to retreive my suitcase out from under the bed. Once I've taken out what I need, I close the suitcase and shove it back under the bed.

She's still watching me as I shrug on a pair of navy blue gym shorts. Leaning forward, I give her a quick peck on the lips before making my way towards the door.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

I stop to glance back at her. My eyes fall to her bare shoulder, the strap of her lingerie hanging loosely.

She's clutching the bed sheets to her chest as she waits for an answer, a few strands of curls falling into her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm just going to get some fresh air."

"Do you want me to go with you?"

"No, I'll be fine. Get some rest."

"But Dec-"

"Aya please!" I erupt, irritated not with her but with myself. Though she doesn't know that. "Just give me a fucking minute!"

When I see the sad, shocked look on her face, I instantly regret raising my voice at her. I open my mouth to apologize, but she turns away from me, burying herself under the covers.

Damn it.

I hurt her feelings.

I promised her parents that I wouldn't hurt their princess, and here I am doing just that.

"Aya."

She doesn't reply, so I take that as her giving me the silent treatment. Cursing under my breath, I smooth a hand over my hair and walk out.

I'm just going to give her some space and hope that when I return from my walk that she's in a forgiving mood.

Stepping out onto the main floor, I look over in the kitchen to see Paxton rummaging through the refrigerator.

He pops his head out of the steel fridge, red pasta sauce all over his face from leftover Spaghetti.

"Hey," he says, exposing the contents in his mouth.

Crinkling my nose in digust at his lack of manners, I slid into one of the island stools. "What are you doing up? It's almost five in the morning."

He reaches for a napkin and wipes away the pasta sauce before tossing the napkin into the trash.

"I couldn't sleep with Adrianna's snoring."

Aya snores too. I actually find it to be rather comforting. I can't sleep without it.

"Besides," he adds, "you know I love a good late night snack."

I almost questioned him about his choice in late night snacks, but then remembered who I was talking to.

"What about you? Did you have another nightmare?" He asked, leaning against the refrigerator door.

"Yeah, which is why I was actually about to go for a stroll on the beach. Care to join me?"

He shrugged. "Sure, why not."