Chapter 14

"Are you nervous?" Joy asked, standing in the doorway of the bathroom while watching me put on my makeup.

"Very," I told her, dropping the tube of lipstick I just put on into my make up bag.

I spent the whole day running errands and trying to find the perfect outfit for tonight. I was going to wear jeans and a cute top, but decided to wear a dress instead. 

I didn't know where Declan was taking me, so I wanted to be prepared just in case it was a club or somewhere fancy. I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed.

And even after deciding to wear a dress, it took me almost two hours to pick out the dress I wanted to wear. By the time I finally settled on the satin brown wrap around dress, I only had three hours to prepare for tonight's date.

"Is he picking you up?" Adrianna asked, setting the flat iron she used to straighten my curly hair down on the sink counter.

"Yeah," I replied, glancing down at the little gold wrist watch they got me for Christmas last year. "He should be here in-"

The doorbell rang and I frantically hurried out of the bathroom to grab my little black purse off the couch. "How do I look?" I asked my friends, pausing to allow them to look me over once more.

"Sexy," Joy answered with a flirtatious wink.

"Agreed," Adrianna replied, nodding her head.

Taking in a deep breath to calm my nerves, I put a smile on my face and opened the door. My heart thumped in my chest seeing Declan standing on the other side of the door. He was wearing a white dress shirt with a black leather jacket and a pair of black slacks.

"Damn," he muttered, his eyes slowly drinking me in.

Damn is right, I thought, still checking him out.

Chuckling, I closed the door and grabbed his forearm. Heading outside, I was expecting to see his car but only saw a red and black motorcycle parked on the curb.

I stopped walking, Declan looking back at me with concern. "What's wrong?"

"Where's your car?"

"My sisters are using it." He offered a tattooed hand, noticing my reluctance to get on the motorcycle. "I won't let anything happen to you. I promise."

Slowly taking his hand, he pulled me closer to him. Letting go of my hand, he reached for his helmet, which he then gently placed on my head. Slinging my leg over the motorcycle, I sat down.

"Hold on to me," he instructed as the motorcycle's engine sounded in the darkness. I placed my hands on his arms and he laughed lightly. "There's no need to be shy, Aya. You can touch me."

I shifted on the motorcycle and moved my hands down to his waist. He glanced down at my hands tightly wrapped around him and smiled.

"You're not going to let me fall off, right?" I asked, scared out of my mind. I've never been on a motorcycle before. And I would have dressed more appropriately had I known he was picking me up like this.

"I got you. Just hold on to me and don't let go."

Nodding, I gripped his shirt and pressed my body up against his back. "Okay."

I screamed when the motorcycle took off. Apparently, Declan wasn't even going twenty miles per hour. But I felt like it was fast, the wind brushing my skin as he sped down the road. I held on as tight as I could, my eyes squeezed shut.

After about twenty minutes, the motorcycle stopped moving. "We're here." I slowly opened my eyes, Declan holding back a laugh as he glanced over his shoulder at me. "Was it really that bad?"