Chapter 4

"I'm not going."

"Why?" Adrianna whined, pushing out her bottom lip in a pout.

"Because I have work in the morning."

"What are you two arguing about?" Joy asked, trudging into the kitchen to fix herself a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

"The Isaacs are hosting their annual bonfire party tonight and I think we should go."

"Hell yeah! I'm down," Joy exclaimed, stuffing a spoonful of cereal into her mouth.

"We've never gone before, so why should we go now?"

Of course I wanted to go, but I couldn't tell them my real reason for not wanting to attend.

Declan would most likely be there, and I think it would be rather unprofessional of me to spend anytime with my client outside of our therapy sessions.

"You guys can just go without me."

Two pairs of dark brown eyes stared at me, not sure why I was so reluctant to attend the beach party bonfire tonight.

The Isaacs have been hosting this bonfire for the last five years. Declan's father, Levi Isaacs lost his brother to a street racing accident. So every year he throws a bonfire in honor of his late brother.

It's such a big event that you have to pay five dollars to get in. All the money that they gain at the end then goes to a charity of their choice. Which I think is really sweet of them.

I've wanted to go for the last two years, but something always comes up. And now that I finally have a chance to go, I can't because one of my clients is a part of the Isaacs family.

"What's the real reason you don't want to go?" Joy asked, moving away from her bowl of cereal to stand in front of me.

I looked up at her from the couch, trying to keep my face as blank as possible. "I have to work tomorrow."

"You're lying," Adrianna chimed in, shifting across the room to stand beside Joy.

"Fine. One of my clients may be there," I admitted.

"Why should that matter? You've encountered plenty of your clients outside of work."

She's right. I've seen many of my clients outside of work, whether they were getting a coffee or going for a stroll in the park.

But for some reason, this time felt different. I've only seen him once, but he made my heart race as soon as he walked into the room.

I'm supposed to be the professional and all I keep thinking about is the way he eyed my body. He looked like he wanted to devour me. And for fucks sake, I might have let him if I didn't love my job so much.

"Aya?"

"Huh?" I blinked away the thoughts upon hearing Joy call my name. I blushed when I realized my two bestfriends were still staring at me.

"Did you hear anything I said?"

"No, sorry. What did you say?"

She rolled her eyes and sighed. "If you really don't want to see this client outside of the office setting, then simply avoid them."

Easier said than done.

****

I admired myself in the mirror, making sure my solid red bikini fit in all the right places and there wasn't a chance of accidently flashing someone.

Once I felt satisfied with the way my swimsuit fit, I threw on my long, white beach cover up.

"Are you guys ready to go?" I yelled from within the bathroom, while internally getting frustrated with my hair. My curls just won't cooperate. No matter how much gel and bobby pins I use, my hair refuses to do what I want.