Chapter 31

"I already told you who fucking shot me!" Declan shouted, aggravated, exhausted, and in an extreme amount of pain.

Matthew hasn't been caught. Police are still out looking for him. After he shot Declan, he simply vanished.

He probably has no idea Declan even survived his attack. He was so sure that one shot would be enough to take him out. But the bullet completely missed all of Declan's major arteries and organs.

He had some internal bleeding, but that was about it. Once the doctor was able to stop the bleeding, Declan was given pain medication and is expected to recover pretty quickly.

Despite hearing such good news, Declan's parents haven't stopped beating themselves up about what happened to their son. They think it's their fault that he was shot, because they're the ones who ruined his life and put him behind bars.

I keep trying to tell them that it's not their fault. Matthew is the only one at fault here. But they refuse to hear it.

I see where Declan gets it from now.

"Okay Officers, that's enough," Mrs. Isaacs cut in. "We can do this another time. My son needs to rest."

"Right," one of the men said, the two men dressed in dark blue police uniforms nodding their head and exiting the room.

Holding Declan's hand, I give it a comforting squeeze. He glanced over at me in response. His green eyes weren't as bright as they usually are and he had bags under his eyes, revealing just how tired he was.

He hasn't been able to sleep since the surgery to extract the bullet lodged in his chest.

We've been in the hospital for two days nnow. And he's not sleeping or eating. He's grumpy and often lashes out at both his family and the staff here.

As I'm staring into his eyes, I just keep imagining how we found him and how he almost didn't make it.

Two days ago
"Declan!" I scream when we finally find him. I'd forgotten all about the locator app we had on our phones.

I'm still shaking, my vision blurry from all the crying I've been doing. Paxton and I rush over to Declan, who's lying on the sidewalk a block away from a Jewelry store.

I try not to pass out from the pool of reddish black blood around him as I press two fingers against the side of his neck.

He's still warm. And when I feel a pulse -although faint- a sense of hope washes over me.

"He's still breathing! We have to get him to a hospital."

Paxton does most of the heavy lifting in getting Declan into the backseat. I hop into the backseat with him, while Paxton resumes taking the wheel.

Placing the palms of my hands on his chest, I put as much pressure on the wound as I can, hoping to slow and eventually stop the bleeding.

"Declan," I whisper, his breathing labored and his eyes closed. He's not unconscious, but he's definitely on his way to be if I don't get him to open his eyes. "Baby, can you look at me?"

"A-Aya?"

He coughs and blood spurts from his lips. I swallow the lump in my throat, trying not to cry again. I have to be strong for him.

"I'm right here, my love."

His beautiful emerald eyes are revealed, and I lean in to kiss his temple. "We're getting you to a hospital. You're going to be okay."

He looks down, grunting in pain when sees that his white shirt is now red from all the blood he's lost.

"I was shot," he mumbled.