31

TRIGGER CONTENT AHEAD.

_______

Trembling, and strained breaths left the girl's rosy lips as she placed the masquerade mask on her face. Madeline stood in front of her mirror, continuously checking her dress for any wrinkles.

Her blood quickened as she glanced over at the clock, again, — her lips quickly flickering in agitation that she'd be late for the ball.

Madeline's parents and uncle were at a business meeting with the boss of the Ministry and they'd be home much later. It was likely that it was in her fate to be attending a ball, at such a beautiful place even for herself she couldn't imagine herself living in.

It was her only chance she could attend, and even after everything that had happened, she couldn't quite wipe away every emotion she'd felt during those miserable last two weeks. Today was the only day where she felt she could smile, for herself.

"Where are you going?" A deep voice spoke from behind, causing her to instantly pinch her eyes shut at his abrupt tone.

The girl didn't look up to meet or to caught onto his gaze, because she knew that she couldn't help herself if her mouth had told the truth.

Madeline tipped her head back, watching his stern glare from the corner of her eye, "No where—"

Theodore inched himself forward, his chest slightly brushing across her left shoulder, "It's written very clearly on your face and the way you're dressed that you're going somewhere."

Her heart instantly sank inside the pit of her stomach, gulping thickly as she cleaned the top surface of her messy dresser, still not meeting his eyes, "—Actually, it's Gianna's birthday today and she invited me over to attend her party."

Theodore instantly gripped his palms on either sides of her shoulder, forcing her anxious green hues to meet his brown ones, "Don't you think that I would have gotten an invitation as well? After all, Dixon is Malfoy's girlfriend."

Rolling her eyes as she pushed his hands off her shoulders, "Gianna is my friend, not yours. And besides, the party is just for girls."

Madeline wanted to push right past him, and leave, but she couldn't. She knew he was getting suspicious of her, — and, she still couldn't leave her room to leave anywhere without her father's permission which added to his doubts.

Before he could ask another question, she leaned forward and pressed her lips on his. It was only for a mere second until he latched his own lips on hers, and mildly grasped his hand on the back of her neck, pulling her closer to him.

In fear of her being late, Madeline quickly pulled her lips away from his — Theodore's brown eyes still staring down from beneath her.

"You're going to wait for me until I came back, will you?" Madeline temptingly whispered, her forehead then leaning on his, before she caught on the corners of his lips curling in a smirk.

Theodore's smirk didn't fade out, only the concern arising in his eyes suddenly alarmed her, "Don't take too long to come home. It isn't safe for you to be out this late at night, especially near forests."

Madeline smiled only for a mere moment, "Father should be home by midnight, and I'll be home around that time."

_______

Sipping on another drink of champagne, Madeline peered her eyes over at the rest of guests at the party, their different sorts of masks weakened her about how bothered she seemed about her attending without her father's permission.