birthdays are overrated

~~~

"Hey lovebirds, have either of you seen Winter?" Summer said as she stopped Qibli and Moon in the middle of their make out session.

Moon jumped, but his arm around her kept her from going far. She let him go, looking a little flushed. She'd always found pda awkward, and it wasn't like she'd planned to make out with him in the middle of a party, things just...happened.

She didn't quite know where to look now that Summer had caught them.

Qibli wasn't fazed by it like she was, and he stood up straight, ran him fingers through his hair—Moon decided to look away every time he did that in public. It was a little too attractive and she didn't want to be caught staring at him.

"He's not with you?" Qibli asked her.

"Would I be asking if he was?"

Qibli chuckled, "I'll go look for him."

Summer shooed him away. "Okay, go do that alone. I have to talk to Moon."

Moon's eyes widened a little as Summer turned her focus to her. She didn't understand why Summer was looking at her like her mom did every time she mentioned Qibli. Okay she understood why, she just didn't want to think about it. 

Qibli let Moon go and backed away from them. "I'm not sure I wanna be a part of this."

"You don't. That's why I didn't invite you. Come along, Moon." She hooked her arm through Moons with a sweet smile, and Moon knew it wouldn't be long before she pried for all the details of what she'd walked in on.

~~~

Qibli opened one of the back doors to Winters house and went upstairs, referring to his mental map of the confusing halls.

Winter didn't turn around when he heard the door open.

"Everyone's looking for you," It was Qibli. "It's kinda hard to celebrate someone's birthday when they're not there."

Winter chuckled, but it wasn't an amused one. He dropped the folded piece of paper he'd been staring at and left the room, opening a sliding door that led to the balcony.

Qibli curiously came over and picked it up and unfolded it. It was a cheque. When he saw the amount written on it, he dropped it like it was about to explode. "That's a lot of money. Who's it from?"

"My parents... forgot my birthday." Winter answered.

"Oh. That's kinda bitchy." Qibli followed him out to the balcony. "Are you okay?"

Winter shrugged. "It's nothing out of the ordinary. You can have it if you want."

"I'm good, bro."

"Smart choice. Money ruins people."

"You think so?" Qibli asked him

"I've seen people go crazy over it. It's pathetic, honestly."

"I just think it's crazy that I'm friends with someone who hands out half a million dollars like it's nothing."

"Speaking of friends, who are all those people?" He asked, bringing his focus back to his pool where the party was happening.

Qibli shrugged. "I don't know, Kinkajou invited people who invited people, you know how parties work."

"Oh."

"You should come down." Qibli said. "Try to have fun."

"You know the worst part?" Winter said. He seemed to be having a different conversation. "Not even that my parents were two days late, but they didn't even bother giving it to me themselves. My dad had a cleaning lady bring it up here this morning. No note or anything. Just a cheque."