Until I Met You

Fire On Fire - Sam Smith

Winter's POV

I honestly thought it would be even harder to get over Moon since she's now dating my best friend...But somehow that made it easier. Or maybe that's just because of another girl. . .

3rd Person POV

Winter was startled into looking up from his phone when he heard someone laugh behind him.

He turned around to see Moon and Qibli... He wasn't really sure what they were doing, but it looked like Qibli was tickling Moon or something. They didn't seem to notice he was there, a few courtyard tables away.

Winter found himself watching, with mild interest in what was happening. At one point, Moon managed to wriggle free from Qibli's grasp and start running away, still laughing. That's when Qibli noticed Winter. Winter didn't even bother pretending he hadn't been watching. Instead, he smiled. Surprisingly, it was genuine. He wasn't jealous... He was... happy for his friends? It wasn't a huge, toothy grin though. Just a tiny smile. Qibli grinned back at him, before sprinting off in the direction that Moon had gone.

Winter'd brought his focus back onto his phone and was peacefully scrolling through his social media when he heard loud footsteps approaching him.

Must be Summer. He thought. The confidence in her walk and the loudness of her heels made it impossible for him to not know when she was approaching.

Turning off his phone, Winter looked up and smiled.

"You look nice," He said, gesturing to her outfit.

Winter could've sworn he noticed a hint of a blush on her cheeks as she spoke. Or maybe she's wearing pink blush?

"I have a photoshoot today right after school." She explained. "My mom's picking me up and we're going straight there. I'm obviously changing into their clothes for the pictures but I need to at least look presentable when I get there."

"Oh. I thought you just walked in in a robe and they tell you what to wear." Winter said.

Summer smiled. "Yeah, that's basically how it works." She said. "But I'm a special case. Trust me. If you ever see me leave my room in sweats, call an ambulance."

Winter let out a chuckle. "Got it."

"Good. Where are the others?"

Winter shrugged "I have no idea where Kinkajou and Turtle are. Qibli and Moon were just here, having some kind of tickle war, but they ran off somewhere." He stared in the direction his friends had gone.

Suddenly, he felt Summer shift closer. She reached up and traced a finger along his eyebrows.

"Do you do that on purpose?" She asked.

Winter stared at her, not quite sure what she was talking about.

Summer pulled her hand away from his face. "I dunno, You always look like you're...frowning."

Winter relaxed his eyebrows. "Why would I do that on purpose?"

"I don't know, to make yourself look hotter?"

Winter cracked a smile as he glanced back at her. "You think I'm hot?"

Summer's cheeks visibly reddened. "Uh, I think half the kids in the school do."

Winter ran a hand through his hair. "No, I don't do it on purpose. I think my face is stuck like that or something. I keep having to remind myself to stop."

Summer nodded. "Do you like Moon?" She asked after a few seconds.

"You ask a lot of questions." Was Winter's reply.

Summer shrugged. "I know," She said, "But answer."

Winter shrugged. "I guess I did. Until—"

"She started dating your best friend?" Summer guessed. It wasn't what he was going to say, but that was one of the reasons, so he nodded anyway.

"Sorry," Summer said looking at her hands.

"Don't be."Winter insisted. "As long as they're happy."

Summer stared at him for a second. "Wow," She breathed. "Aren't you even like a little upset or jealous?"

Winter shrugged. "I was. That is, until that time I talked to you on the roof..." The second the words came out, he wished he'd bitten off his tongue.

He could feel Summer's eyes on him as he averted his gaze from hers. Summer poked his cheek to get him to look at her. "Hey, I'm actually really glad you told me."

"How come?"

"I know what you mean, Winter. I feel the same."

"What?"

Summer ever so softly bit her lip. "I feel like you're the first person I met that understands how I feel. You even said it yourself. You and I are pretty much the same. And I like that. Probably more than I should."

Winter nodded. "I see where you're coming from." Before Winter could say anything else,—not that he knew what to say— the bell rang, indicating that they had five minutes to get to class.

"Think about it." Summer said, standing up.

Winter smiled as they started to head for the doors.

"Oh booh! We thought you were gonna kiss." Kinkajou said, jumping out from behind a wall. Turtle, Moon and Qibli sheepishly followed her.

"Seriously guys? We've known each other for three weeks." Winter said.

"Pssh, Qibli and Moon had their first kiss after three weeks." Kinkajou scoffed.

"Um, sorry what?" Qibli asked Kinkajou.

Kinkajou turned to look at him. "Oh come on, did you guys really think I believed that you went out 'stargazing' after the September dance?"

Moon's jaw dropped a bit. "Okay, who votes we go to class?" She said after an awkward silence.

"Wait!" Summer called. "Were you guys hiding back there the whole time?"

"We couldn't hear anything if that's what you're worried about." Turtle said to the ground. "But Kinkajou saw you sitting there and insisted we stay and watch in case something 'interesting' happened."

Winter chuckled. "Sounds about right."

"Hey, you can't blame me!" Kinkajou defended herself. "Pyrrhia High's Couple Goals is getting boring cause literally nothing is happening. So when you and Summer finally decide to admit your love for each other to each other, let me know. ANYWAYS, Moon and I have gotta get to theater, cause we're finding out what roles we're playing in The Wizard of Oz."

Moon's face lit up. "Right! We gotta go! See you guys--"

"Wait what?" Qibli interjected. "There was a play and I didn't know about it?"

Moon giggled. "I guess so." She shrugged, before standing on her tippy toes and leaning in to plant a kiss on his cheek. She kinda had to bounce a little higher and stand on her toes like a point ballerina due to Qibli's tallness, but she did it....With the help of Qibli's shoulder to keep her balance, but she did it.

"Hey, if you want your shipping page to be less boring, why don't you just post about Moon and Qibli all the time?" Summer suggested to Kinkajou. "Literally no one would be able to resist that cuteness." She said, flashing Moon a smile that pretty much stated she was just trying to be annoying.

Moon sent Summer a fake grimace and let herself be pulled away towards the theater by Kinkajou.

It was only then that Qibli got over his state of shock. He ran a hand through his hair. "So that happened." He mumbled.

~~~

<3

~Maya B. 💓