Nobody Likes Anemone

Winter's POV

"Wow, you guys really had bad luck with parents."Kinkajou said after Summer and Moon explained their lovely pasts.

No one seemed to have anything to say after that, so Summer cleared her throat. She'd been hanging out with them ever since her talk with Winter, and they'd all realized there was more to her than they knew. She was funny, smart, almost as pretty on the inside as she was on the outside, but also unsurprisingly sarcastic at times.

"So, when did you guys all meet?" She asked after a second.

Kinkajou's face lit up again as she explained.

"Okay, I'll try to make this as short as possible. So Winter and Qibli have known each other for like, ever.  Of course in elementary I knew them too, but not really. They were like, the super popular super cute guys and I was like, that dorky girl that was totally falling head-over-heels for them. So I was hosting fifth grade grad party at the end of the year, and I ran into them and Qibli was like 'Hey, nice party', and then we all started talking and having fun. I remember having this HUGE crush on Winter--can you blame me though?--Anyways, we were talking. So back then it was just them, me and my friend Tamarin. Tamarin's a year younger than us but she moved when we were in sixth grade to go to a boarding school...sadly. Anyways, Turtle came along in seventh grade, and as I got to know him I realized he was sweet, and cute and nice and adorable all in one! So I had this huge crush on him." Turtle blushed at this while Qibli snickered. "No offence Winter, I still think you're super good looking and stuff, but I've moved on. No hard feelings right?" She placed her hand on his for a second, but quickly whipped it away. "Oh burr! Why is your hand so cold!"

Winter stared at his hand for a moment. "I have no idea." He said at the same time as Qibli said, "He's a vampire."

Winter shot Qibli a pointed look.

"Seriously!" Qibli protested. "No kid your age is that good looking--other than me of course--  and sometimes you can be really monotone, and has anyone else noticed how pale your skin is? And apparently cold! Also, you never show your teeth! What are you hiding--OW!"

He was cut off by Winter, who'd smacked him across the back of the head.

"What was that for?!" Qibli complained.

"Take a wild guess."

Summer's snort laugh was loud enough to turn a few heads. "You guys are hilarious. You know that, right?"

This made Winter smile for some strange reason. "Well, when your best friend that you've known since kindergarten suddenly started coming up with theories--" He stopped suddenly, realizing his slip.

Great. I'll never hear the end of it.

As if right on cue, Qibli's head snapped up. He was grinning from ear to ear.  "Wait-- Your best friend?! I'm your best friend!" He jumped to his feet and started doing a wiggly dance around the table. "He finally admitted it! You love me Winter! I'm your best friend! Whoo!" Now they definitely had everyone's attention.

Winter's expression was blank as he stared at nothing in front of him. Of course Qibli was his closest friend. He'd been by Winter's side since they were five years old! But of course he never expected himself to say it out loud though.

Suddenly, Qibli was right behind him, still grinning. "Come on, stop moping. Lets's just hug it out!"

"You'd better sit your ass down before I take it back."

Qibli gladly did so, but he still had to add, "It's already been said. You can't take it back anymore"

Winter looked the other way. Mostly just to hide the stubborn smile that was forming on his lips, but also out of annoyance. Right? Right. Yeah. Of course.