Seriously?

Moon's POV

People may think I'm smart, or intelligent or clever or whatever. Honestly, the only reason I do so well in school is because, well, I didn't really have friends at my old school, and all I could really do on my free time was study, or look online for answers to my own questions. I'm not a genius or anything... I just... study... I guess. But all that's changing...Maybe even for the better.

3rd Person POV

"So, if x equals a number, what is the value of x in the equation 7x equals 1 036??" Kinkajou read aloud to Moon. "What does that even mean?"

Moon was at Kinkajou's house helping the rainbow haired girl with her homework.It's not that Kinkajou was bad in school, just that she wasn't that good at math... so moon had agreed to help her study.It was still the first month of school and their teacher, ms. Kestrel was already giving them a test on algebra. It was easy though at least.

"it means seven times a number equals a thousand thirty six." Moon explained.

"Isn't that just a thousand thirty six divided by seven?" Kinkajou asked

"Yeah basically" Moon said

"Oh awesome thats easy!" Kinkajou said.

She took out her calculator. "So, a thousand thirty six divided by seven equals... a hundred and forty eight! That's not so bad!"

"Good" Said Moon "Now if you were to translate it from an algebraic equation to words, what would it be?"

"Say what now?" Kinkajou questioned

"It just means you have to say it in words. like, seven times a number 'x' equals a thousand thirty six" Moon clarified.

"Who even invented algebra?" Kinkajou said. "Who decided to put letters into math?! Like, that's not even math anymore. Thats just... complicated English."

Moon laughed. "I completely agree."

"Sooo," Said Kinkajou. "Is moonbli a thing now??"

"Moonbli?"

"That's the ship name I made for you and Qibli."

"Kinkajou, you know we're not dating." Moon said with a sigh.

"You will soon. I know it!"

"When's soon?"

"After he asks you to the dance." Kinkajou said like it was obvious

"What kind of school has a dance at the beginning of the year anyways?" Moon said

"Ours." Kinkajou answered.

"Well, maybe he won't, do you think he's just gonna suddenly fall from the sky and ask me to a dance?"

"It could happen, You never know" Kinkajou said with a shrug

"Kink--" Moon started but was cut off. Someone was yelling. Then they heard a loud thud. It came from Kinkajou's balcony.

Moon and Kinkajou exchanged glances before rushing to the sliding glass door.

They looked outside. If Moon had told anyone Winter, Qibli and Turtle had all fallen into Kinkajou's backyard, no one would have believed her.

Mostly cause it wasn't true. Winter wasn't there... It was just Turtle and Qibli. And they landed on her balcony.

Moon and Kinkajou exchanged a raised eyebrowed glance.

"Heyyy," Said Qibli getting up as he saw Moon and kinkajou.

Turtle looked Kinda guilty, but he waved anyways.

"You spoke too soon." Moon heard Kinkajou whisper with a huge smile.

"Where did you guys come from?" Moon asked the boys, pretending to not have heard Kinkajou.

Turtle turned bright red, but Qibli looked as if nothing had just happened. "We kinda fell from your roof" He said

"Why were you on the roof?"

"That's how they get in my room from outside." Kinkajou explained.

"Why not just use a door?" Moon asked them.

Qibli shrugged. "This way's faster."

"And apparently deadly."

Kinkajou laughed. "Yeah, are you guys okay?" She stepped forwards and hugged them, and Turtle let her go super reluctantly, and Moon caught herself beaming.

"Yeah,  we're fine." Turtle answered.

"Good," Kinkajou answered. "Cause I have something to ask you."

"Y-you do?"

"Will you go to the September dance with me?" Kinkajou blurted out, very fast.

Turtle blinked a few times like he was still processing the question. "Really?"

"Yes! Answer!"

"Of course I will."

"Really?"

Qibli and Moon exchanged an amused glance as Kinkajou stepped forwards and hugged Turtle again.

Moon was so happy for her friend she almost squealed. almost.

Turtle and kinkajou seemed lost in each others eyes for a few moments, until Kinkajou snapped out of it. Kinkajou turned to Qibli. "Your turn." She said

Moon knew exactly what she meant. Qibli looked at moon. Moon really didn't want to make this moment awkward and weird. Before Qibli could say anything, she raised a finger.

"No no no, no need to say it twice. This is Turtle and kinkajou's moment. I don't wanna make it weird. I know what you're gonna say anyways."

Qibli grinned. "Is that a yes or a no?"

Moon pretended to think about it for a few seconds. "It's a yes. Of course." She said finally. Moon thought she heard Kinkajou whisper 'I told you so.' But she wasn't paying attention. She was too busy focusing on the fact that she actually had a real date to a real dance which was so weird.

"So are you gonna hug him or are you just gonna awkwardly stand there." Kinkajou spoke up after a few seconds of Moon not quite knowing what to do.

Moon smiled and stood on her tippy toes, wrapping her arms around his neck. He hugged her back, and she lightly kissed his cheek before backing up again.

"Any chance you guys wanna do algebra with us?"

~~~

~Maya B. 💜