High school

I sat at my desk bouncing my leg up and down as the teacher spoke about the Civil War, history was not my thing. My yellow pencil traced across the paper, drawing sketches around the words I had written. Flowers, vines and cute animated characters filled my homework.

"Hey." I heard a whisper to my left and I turned my head, Clay. Saying he gave me butterflies was an understatement, more like elephants making their permanent home in my stomach. Stomping around.

"Yeah?" I asked, quickly glancing at the teacher to make sure he wasn't looking, thankfully he was too distracted by teaching he didn't notice us whispering to one another.

"Do you have a pencil I can borrow? Mine broke and I don't feel like getting up." He whined and I giggled softly as I went to reach for my backpack on the ground to my right.

"Clay, here, mechanical. No need to sharpen." A voice rang from behind me, her voice flirtatious. Of course Madison jumped the gun and offered him her pencil. A wave of sadness washed over me but I ignored it until Clay spoke again.

"I don't really like mechanical pencils, Y/n, can I just get one from you?" He asked, Madison scoffed from behind me as my cheeks heated up. I grabbed one from my bag and handed it to him, a freshly sharpened #2 pencil. When he grabbed it from me our fingers touched for a brief moment, sending chills down my spine. I shook it off by sending him a small smile, returning to my doodles.

The bell rang as the class gathered their things and exited the room. After shoving through the crowd of people I made it to my locker, grabbed my English book and spun around. My body collided with another as a huff escaped my lips.

"Sorry." I said, feeling bad for not looking where I was going.

"It's my fault, I came to return your pencil." The familiar voice said, I looked up to see Clay smiling down at me, holding the pencil in his hands right in front of my face.

"It's fine, you can keep it."

"No, really-" He said, spinning his backpack to the front of his body, unzipping it to show me the stash of yellow pencils he had in his bag. "Take it."

"So if you had a thousand pencils why did you need to ask me for one?" I joked with him as we walked down the halls, our shoulders lightly bumping into each other's every couple steps.

"It was the best thing I could think of as an excuse to talk to you." I saw his cheeks turning a light shade of pink as mine followed suit, matching his almost instantly.

"You could've just said, y'know, hey or something." I told him and he chuckled.

"It was supposed to go into this really cheesy way of me asking you on a date but I got nervous you'd say no." I stopped in front of my next class as we spoke, him spinning around to stand face to face with me.

"Yes." I replied.

"Yes?"

"Yes, I'll go on a date with you. Maybe you could give me a ride home from school? We can go to the new taco place that just opened?" I asked, confidence suddenly taking over and I wasn't complaining.

"That sounds great, meet you at your locker after the last bell?" I agreed and he left to go to his next class.

The rest of the day I couldn't focus, counting down the minutes until the last bell.