Chapter 77: Punishment

Media: https://pin.it/23wIgXI

In this life, this was the first time Huang Qiaoli felt fear of someone.

"Da ge, this sister is wrong." This was also the first time she prostrated, her nose almost touching the floor.

If she wasn't fed medicine to heal her internal wounds earlier, she couldn't hug the floor right now.

Her brother, the Duke didn't ask for her to kneel down but she initiated it. Knowing the blunder she did these past few days, she was even embarrassed to show her face.

This time, Huang Li Yun's face was strict and didn't carry any doting. His wife beside him had a look as if she was suffering a headache because of these two.

"Lift your head. Do you know what you did wrong?" Li Yun asked, his words unhurried.

Qiaoli was also serious. Her eyes were downcast as she sat up. "This sister went ahead of herself and wanted to rule beside da ge without knowing the situation first..."

She frowned. It seemed wrong. "Actually, this sister thought she knew everything already and got ahead of herself. Bypassed the rules and etiquette. Causing da ge to be distressed." 

Her wrongs were as followed. Immediately dismissing all the women in this house. Probably destroying her brother's own plans for them. Wrote to the ladies' maiden family and introduced herself ahead of her brother's approval.

Dared to volunteer herself to answer her brother's problems for him and applied as his advisor.

Shit, I hate myself. Qiaoli was really embarrassed.

How did it not occur to her that Huang Li Yun, this brother of hers, was just pretending to be politically weak? She already knew he had strong cultivation and martial arts. She also knew her sister-in-law was not a normal woman either.

And yet, she still believed that her brother was having a hard time ruling the duchy based on the 'research' she did.

This was really a lesson learned for her.

Huang Li Yun frowned. Seeing his sister like this, repenting and submissive. Her brows lowered and her lips curving downwards, he wanted to stop admonishing her already. This must be how Father felt whenever a'mei did something naughty in the past. Who could even scold this girl?

But the Duke had to harden his heart. This was his family's Huang princess. He had to correct her ways so she wouldn't make the same mistakes in the future.

"Palms up! 20 hits to the young lady's hand!" He ordered.

Rouli raised her brow at this. She already saw her husband bring the admonishing whip but only thought it was there for show.

The younger Pillars who were there in the room also wanted to say something. But they knew the Master would just be angrier if they interfere. Ying and Lu got close to Marquise Yan during their travels as they were close in age but they had no power to persuade the master.

"Duke, do not do something you will regret later." It was Rouli who moved to stop him.

The brothers Ying and Lu heaved a silent sigh of relief. Mentally encouraging the Mistress to stop the Duke.

But the Marquise's low voice sounded. "It's alright, da jie. No one should be exempted from the rules."

The Duchess looked at Qiaoli. "This child..." 

Did she know that the person who will hit her had one of the highest cultivation in Huo Ai? Rouli was afraid she wouldn't have those hands tomorrow.

This pair of siblings was really giving her a headache. She got it that the younger sister made a mistake. But why hit her? Just scold her properly and let her go!

Huang Rouli glared at her husband but Huang Li Yun was adamant to ignore her stare.

The sound of striking palms was soon heard in the courtyard. 

"You are hasty and too eager to contribute. But didn't gather your resources well and was too confident of the information you have on hand. As if you were sure nothing will go wrong once you moved." Duke Li's voice was soft but filled with pressure.

He didn't let anybody else do it and administered the punishment himself. By the 20th strike, his back was already sweating profusely. 

The Duke didn't even dare to use more than a tenth of his physical power. To those with beginner cultivation, one of the hits would be like a loud playful slap but wouldn't hurt much.

To Qiaoli however, the pain was still excruciating and tears welled up in her eyes.

"Our Huang family's, the Vermillion Bird's downfall is our hotheadedness. Remember this day and this pain and don't make this mistake again. Before you are Marquise Yan, you are Huang family's miss. The choices you make represent this family. If you want to help, you will need to learn how to help. Do you get it?"

Huang Qiaoli was dazed. "W-what?"

Seeing that his sister took some time to answer, Li Yun almost wanted to apologize. But on the surface, his expression was still restrained. "After your hand heals, you will learn martial arts under Ying and Lu. I don't expect you to master it, it will just serve as an exercise to temper your mind. You must remember that you're an heir of the direct line of this clan. Just as some people were destined to poverty, you are destined to lead. This house will not raise an idle person."

Huang Qiaoli didn't answer. Who knew what was on her mind.

"Come, escort Marquise Yan to her courtyard."

Today's punishment session finally ended and Huang Li Yun watched his sister walk away, assisted by maids.

"You're too harsh on her. You let her believe that she can do anything she wants then abruptly clipped her wings." Rouli blamed the Duke.

Li Yun sighed and buried his head in his palm. Now that they were alone, he didn't need to act tough.

"I watched her closely ever since I met her back in Great Han. She is bold and unbridled. This confidence is good but it seems she has this expectation that everything will go according to her plans."

Huang Rouli nodded. "Her ideas and machinations are sharp. It's just that... this is not Zhong Xin. She can't get away unscathed if she provoked everyone and relied on our protection."

It was just that Li Yun was too ruthless. She continued, "You know this might affect your relationship."

The Duke's motion of standing up halted. His callousness was also the reason his wife was estranged from him.  He also didn't want to make the same mistake.

"Can I trouble the Duchess to bring the Zhouyi ointment to Chun Xingyun tomorrow?"

Rouli chuckled. "You... you are one stupid man."

Huang Li Yun had gotten used to her insults by now so he just let her be.

---