Chapter 56: Misunderstanding

Si Hai now felt how it was like to be hunted.

Five strong people were eyeing him like prey and their leader was watching from the side. He had nine tails but he couldn't fight 12 hands holding weapons all at once. He was cornered.

When he was still Jiang Ming's servant, he didn't experience a serious life-threatening situation because humans were inferior to him. At times, he was outnumbered but he could still escape unscathed.

Momentarily, he knew what fear was. Even if his strength increased because of what the senior has fed him, he wouldn't be able to fight these masters.

In his desperation, he yelled. "Lady Hong!!!!"

The fox was afraid that if he shouted her real name, his life would only further be shortened so he opted for her other name.

>He used her old surname: Hong which means red as he used to call her when he was a servant in the Hong fu. He doesn't want to call her real name because he thought of the pride of nobility when it came to names<

Duke Li and his subordinates were stunned. What kind of coward was this kid?

Lady Red? Was he calling an adult spirit fox? That would be more perilous! The Duke would be hard-pressed to keep their abilities secret here in Great Han.

Soon, their family's Marquise was also seen rushing out. Her brother thought that she was roused by the clamor and didn't think too much of it.

>Instead of Marchioness, I'm trying out the French version Marquise. Most stories I read used Marquis for males of this ranking instead of the Brit equivalent Marquess. Hence, I'll use the female counterpart of the French ver. I also think Marquise sounds better<

"What are you doing?" Qiaoli's voice penetrated through the ruckus.

The Duke's top concern would always be her safety so he urged her, "A'mei, go back to your room. It's dangerous here!"

He would never know if the beast really called someone or was just desperate.

When his sister didn't answer, that was when he turned to look at her only to be greeted with glowing amber eyes as though she was cutting him inside her mind.

The young black fox timely found an opening and sprinted toward Huang Qiaoli.

Huang Li Yun's eyes widened in horror. The beast was going to hurt his sister!

He prepared to go all-out on his next attack but Qiaoli deadpanned, "Stop, this fox is mine."

The energy gathered in the Duke's palm would have backfired if he didn't promptly dissipated it. The impact of his sister's words was that big.

"M-miss... what did you say?" Yemin was the one who voiced out everyone's doubts.

But Huang Qiaoli's attention already left their conversation as Si Hai was attempting to alleviate his fear by wrapping his tails on her.

She glared at the boy with nine tails. "See if you dare!"

Just the idea of her skin having contact with fur again gave her goosebumps. Aside from the time when she was curious if his tails were real and when she was injured, she didn't want anything to do with his fur again.

One thing was for sure, she hated living things that had fur!

The fox who was told to scram had tears in his eyes. He just slipped away from death, a little comfort from her wouldn't hurt.

However, Qiaoli's already faced her brother and his subordinates again.

"It's only logical to ask a person's motive before attacking. I expected much from you lot, it would be disappointing if you have really killed this... boy." She had some trouble addressing Si Hai as she had seen his metamorphosis from man to fox to a child.